Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Why Quilts Matter History Art Politics" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-quilts-matter-history-art-politics-t222877.html)

Annie68 06-03-2013 05:45 AM

"Why Quilts Matter History Art Politics"

How many of you have seen this series? It was on PBS a while ago, though my local PBS station didn't carry it. I did buy the DVD and enjoy it so much, have watched it several times. I got it out this w/e and watched as I sewed down a binding. It makes pleasant work of such chores, as before you know it you have many stitches done in your quilt as you glance up to see all the interesting quilts and listen to the commentary, then back to your stitching. :thumbup:

* Disclaimer, I have nothing to do with the distribution of this DVD series, I just enjoy and wonder if anybody else likes it!

Tashana 06-03-2013 05:50 AM

I have it, and I like it. For a bit more upbeat documentary, watch "Stitched". That us my go to binding DVD.

DebraK 06-03-2013 05:54 AM

both are on my wish list for when the boys ask what I want. I try to make it simple for them ;-) DH loves buying that kind of stuff, so I encourage him. He gets something out of it too.

Annie68 06-03-2013 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=Tashana;6101024]I have it, and I like it. For a bit more upbeat documentary, watch "Stitched". That us my go to binding DVD.[QUOTE]

Yes, I also have the DVD "Stitched", another good one!

quilttiger 06-03-2013 02:40 PM

I would love to watch Why Quilts Matter. However, I missed it when it first aired on PBS. And it was close captioned. My guild got the DVD but I discovered it was not close captioned, much to my disappointment, since I am hard of hearing. I sent an e-mail and I was told that PBS was the one that did the captioning when it received the DVD for showing on the channel. Guess, it cannot be transferred to the DVD. I have checked with the two local PBS stations and they do not have any plans to show it again at this time. One did say it will pass on my request. Perhaps it will be shown when there is a membership drive.

cindi 06-03-2013 03:00 PM

I'd sure love to see both of those. Going on my Bucket List! Hadn't heard about "Stitched", so thanks, Tashana, for pointing it out!

nygal 06-03-2013 03:12 PM

I never heard of this series. Wish I hadn't missed it on PBS.

Daylesewblessed 06-03-2013 03:17 PM

Yes, I viewed the "Why Quilts Matter" series last summer on our PBS station. It was aired just in time for the National Ranching Heritage Center" (in Lubbock) exhibit on quilts and the corresponding speakers series. The center purchased a copy of the video series for use by the community. It is a wonderful series!

tropit 06-03-2013 04:20 PM

I saw that one a while back. I'm always gaga over any quilting movies, plays, etc. Have you ever seen the play, "The Quilters"?

~ Cindy

QuiltnNan 06-04-2013 03:28 AM

i bought it, too, but have never taken the time to watch it... i haven't set up the dvd player at this house and i'm moving again soon :)