Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why so many UFOs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-so-many-ufos-t313772.html)

Macybaby 01-07-2021 10:16 AM

I'd say the "squirrel syndrome" is my main problem too -

I own an LA, so don't really consider my floppies as UFO's. they're just waiting in line to be quilted. Though some have been in line a long time and keep getting bumped back.

I love the design phase, and sewing blocks to see how it's going to look with the colors I've selected, but once i get it far enough along so I've got that figured out, I often start loosing interest and it becomes tedious and I want a different challenge. I have way too many totes with with sets of blocks that need to be sashed and assembled, and that part I don't find "fun" so they sit.

QuiltE 01-07-2021 10:50 AM

Adding to the possibilities .......
7. They multiply when we are not looking! :)
8. QADD - (Quilter's ADD) - we get distracted with a new shiny object (aka pattern, design, idea)!!! :)

Onebyone 01-07-2021 10:56 AM

. If I don't like a UFO enough to finish it, I would never finish it out of guilt. That would be quilt misery for me. I get rid of it and forget it. I stay much happier quilting without guilt. LOL

PiedPiper 01-07-2021 11:00 AM

For me, it's quite a bit of Quilters' ADD - ooh, shiny new project, I must start that right away!!
And a bit of preferring cutting and piecing over the other steps in the process.
And a bit of "hating to make the sandwich" - ugh, what a pain, trying to find space, keep it flat, and usually crawling around on my knees for a while.
And a bit of indecision in how to quilt it - exacerbated by the fact that I'm doing it on my little DSM; I don't have the luxury of a LA and can't really afford to send stuff out for quilting.

But then to offset that, I really look forward to having the quilt completed and in use...it's a fine balance!!https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/tongue.png

juliasb 01-07-2021 11:57 AM

All of the above! I can't count how many UFO's I have right now. I have 9 quilt tops from this year alone. I did complete 3 quilts in 2020. But 9 more tops to add to the stack I have stored away. I have one that I keep pulling out to work on but just can't come to finish it and it is one of those "must finish" quilts. I have just come to a stalemate with it. I will eventually get it done just don't know when. Of course I am working on a table topper right now and just finished the blocks for it. This one will be quilted soon even if it is SITD. I am in love with this one. More about that later. Maybe 2021 will see many of the UFO's finished.

Jennifer23 01-07-2021 03:33 PM

I'm impressed that so many of your UFOs are at the "assembled top" stage! Mine are scattered all along the spectrum from "idea that I haven't quite figured out" to I really should finish stitching down the binding".

I'm definitely in the squirrel syndrome group. I quilt for fun, so if a different project tickles my fancy, I switch. Quilting/sewing is the only aspect of my life where I would consider taking this much freedom, so it's interesting to step out of my comfort zone and make frivolous choices.

Stitchnripper 01-07-2021 03:41 PM

I am the oddball quilter. I don’t have much of a stash. I finish everything because I don’t start very many things. Future projects live in my head. I like all parts of the process. I don’t usually design my own quilts. My favorite part is the part I am weakest in - free motion quilting. I quilt for my own pleasure. I have made quilts for a few people that appreciate them. I have only made one quilt since august 2019 and that was for my son as we nursed him through his cancer battle which he lost on November 6th. He wanted that quilt. It makes me sad to look at it. I have something under my needle right now but am not very motivated. But, I know I will finish it.

Jingle 01-07-2021 04:30 PM

I don't have any UFOS. I have containers to store finished quilts, not unfinished ones.

I like all aspects of quilt making including sandwiching them.

ccthomas 01-07-2021 06:19 PM

I sign up for too many Block of the Month. I download, I start, and before I know it, I am behind on that one, feeling guilty, put it aside, and there is always another sign up and I have started that one too. I need to learn how to say No. Looks like that goal should have started already for 2021. All these people have already told me I have signed up and I think I am behind. Some of the these block of the month, block of the week, just go on forever. I won't name names.

Conchalea 01-07-2021 07:42 PM

Before I moved, flimsies languished in my home. Once here, though, I began quilting with my friend & to my surprise, sandwiching with her is a blast, & she loves to quilt & bind! Piecing, not so much. It requires too much precision for her tastes. Planning & piecing are my favorite parts, & I'm having fun with FMQ & regular quilting. I do have 2 tops I'm currently working on, with one that I put away just prior to moving & I haven't had the will to pull it out to see where I was with it. I have a few in the planning stage, & 1 with all the fabric purchased. I don't have a definite pattern yet, just a nebulous idea. Not all are UFOs but I have them listed.