Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-t70863.html)

Crickett Sweet 10-20-2010 07:26 AM

to the side - no backstitching required. Stronger seams

Bobbinchick 10-20-2010 07:31 AM

Some times it depends on the pattern you are working with. Some call for the seam to be pressed to the dark, others say to the light, and things like dresden plates are pressed open so there won't be too much bulk when you sew the wedges together.
Please don't fuss over it, just do it the way that is comfortable for you. Good luck, Huggies, fay

Suzy 10-20-2010 08:12 AM

grammyp

That is what I was told by my Grandma also. And Granny knows best. When making a civil war wall hanging I did press the seams open and they do lay much flatter. It is at the quilters now can't wait to see if she says anything about how it was to quilt.

Suzy

Mailmanldy 10-20-2010 08:38 AM

I really don't think it makes much difference if you are machine piecing. I usually will press to one side if I'm doing 4 or 9 patches, but if I'm doing something like a hexagon (One Block Wonders) or any type of kaleidoscope or star block where 6 or more points come together, I will press open to reduce some of the bulk at the point. And with todays fabrics, if you are using a good quality quilting cotton, I really don't think it matters if you press to the dark or light. The seam is only 1/4 inch, and unless the fabric is really thin, most people wouldn't even notice if your seam was showing under the light fabric.

Best word of advice... try it both ways, with different blocks ( 4 Patch, Kaleidoscope or hexagon) and see which way you like best, and do what works for YOU!!!!

TexasGurl 10-20-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Spring
Why are the seams pressed to the side rather then pressed open like in garment construction?
I did it but Im loosing sleep as to why.

Also am I correct in my thinking that each row should be pressed opposite direction?

I learned to quilt in the 80's when polyester battings were the norm and seams to one side were taught to keep the batting from creeping through. It also makes a stronger seam for wear.
I haven't used polyester batting in years, but I still press to one side - it's just easier than pressing a little 1/4" seam open. I do press star centers or other complex blocks open to reduce bulk. I've always taught my quilt classes that way - and to press rows in opp. directions, they will nest and corners match more easily. :)

tryitall 10-20-2010 10:25 AM

Just today I received my Quilting magazine. It had an insert with quilter's tips. This was one of the topics. Everyone has their own way. Some liked pressing to the side and some liked pressing open, and some pressed toward the dark fabric. Do whatever feels right to you.

PattyJean 10-20-2010 11:30 AM

Either way is acceptable and more classes are using the press open method. Pressing to one side is really helpful when you are sewing rows or blocks together as you can butt the 2 seams pressed in different directions to help you get a perfect corner match.

jljack 10-20-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
My grandmother said it was so the batting didn't poke out through the stitches. Don't know if that is the original purpose for pressing to the side, but it works for me.

Yes, that was the original purpose, but also for a stronger seam once quilted. I have some older quilts that the stitching has started coming apart, but you can't see the batting poking through because the maker pressed to the side, and I am able to whip stitch the seam back together easily.

It's personal preference. Sometimes I press open on a small item to reduce the bulk at the seams.

Rosyhf 10-20-2010 11:54 AM

I sew the way I was taught to sew clothing. I was trained as a professional seamstress. I will press open and to the side depending.

ksea 10-20-2010 12:50 PM

I saw a video of Alex Anderson and she said to press to one side so the stitches won't show