Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why are we always in a hurry? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-we-always-hurry-t249850.html)

Luv Quilts and Cats 07-10-2014 09:55 AM

Of the group of gals I quilt with (there are 6 of us) I am the slow sewer and quilter. It got to be an inside joke of the group but I didn't mind. And still don't. I have picked up my speed a bit but I try to enjoy the process and be in the moment when I am quilting.

citruscountyquilter 07-10-2014 11:28 AM

Count me in on the tortoise team. I generally make complex patchwork and between that and the time I spend cogitating along the way most people have left me in the dust. Going slowly also fits my budget. Quilting is an expensive hobby.

Peckish 07-10-2014 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 6794578)
I'm not familiar with any foreign magazines. What are some of the names to look for?

Well let's see. Quiltmania is a good one, they have a French version, a Japanese version, and I think a British version, but I could be wrong. Australian Patchwork and Quilting is another good one. I usually have to go to B&N for them.

Dolphyngyrl 07-10-2014 07:06 PM

perfectionists tend to be slower, my aunt comments on my slow going quilts, but my seams look better than her fast quilts, and match up better so I don't mind going slow

ghostrider 07-10-2014 08:04 PM

Some people eat rapidly, some eat slowly...their bodies get nourishment either way.
Some people quilt rapidly, some quilt slowly...their souls get nourishment either way.
It all works out just fine. :)

Madan49 07-11-2014 02:54 AM

I'm a prolific quilter, but I don't just do the fast-and-easy type quilts. Some of mine fall into the complex category. And I do some that involve a lot of hand stitching too. This is one I have in progress right now.. not finished, still need to figure out what I want to do with the drops:

Madan49 07-11-2014 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry... that didn't go through... trying again on the last post...

Sandygirl 07-11-2014 04:39 AM

Some us work full time and we don't have the time to leisurely just "plan", shop around, sew/quilt. Quick and easy- instant gratification for me! I would LOVE to tackle something more detailed but it would end up a forever UFO.

Sandy

Sandygirl 07-11-2014 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Madan49 (Post 6795537)
I'm a prolific quilter, but I don't just do the fast-and-easy type quilts. Some of mine fall into the complex category. And I do some that involve a lot of hand stitching too. This is one I have in progress right now.. not finished, still need to figure out what I want to do with the drops:

GORGEOUS! Not in my lifetime though.
sandy

grann of 6 07-11-2014 04:49 AM

My friends call me a prolific quilter. I don't do any handsewing because of arthritis in my hands, so everything is done by machine, even the quilting. I have a longarm, so I can see the entire project through, and really call it "My own". I am a perfectionist, but also a realist. You can't always get a "perfect point" or a "matching seam", but no one is going to notice it if I don't point it out to them. I can't stand UFOs, so I try to complete a project once I get it started, and when it is finished, I am excited to get on to the next one. I make a lot of charity quilts, and try to have several on hand in case there is some tragedy like a tornado or hurricane. I don't do terribly difficult designs, but I like to stretch myself past my comfort zone. I find quilting so much fun, I can't wait to see what I can accomplish next. So I really don't consider it "being in a hurry" to make one quilt after another.