Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why would you hand piece a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-would-you-hand-piece-quilt-t61600.html)

hspirit_99 08-29-2010 03:26 AM

i love to hand quilt. very theraputic. i made my DGD an 8 pointed star quilt when she was a baby. now im making her one with hex. the fabric is from the 70's and she liked it so i said id make it for her for xmas. also have two others going. that way i dont get burned out. can take it with me where ever i go. very relaxing and easier to take out a stitch when needed. :-D

sandyl 08-29-2010 03:26 AM

Keeps me from eating!
I like having something to do with my hands while sitting. I have handquilted a few. No piecing, but I have done applique.

19angel52 08-29-2010 03:28 AM

...just for that reason - not to be locked away in the sewing room all the time - or lugging the sewing machne with you wherever you go. I have one hand piecing project that joins me whenever we travel. I guarantee it'll be years before it's finished...a grandmothers flower garden top. Goal: queen size. LOL. Yup - it'll take years!

Mad Gertie 08-29-2010 04:11 AM

:) Like you I much rather hand quilt than machine quilt, it is soo relaxing. It gets me throuhg many a sleepless night !!! I also think the end result looks great, it looks hand made ( in a nice sence ), which I like. You also get a much nicer feel of all your lovely materials ! Mad Gerie from Kent

#1piecemaker 08-29-2010 04:37 AM

Hand piecing is mainly what I do. You listed most of my reasons why but I will say this. Hand work allows you to do a much better job. Your seams are more unifor and those curved pieces go together so much more nicely. I can sit and watch tv while I piece or I can put some in a ziplock and take it to the doctors office(where I know I will be waiting) or just anywhere I go that I might have a chance to get in a little stitching. But, mainly I do it while watching tv. I have gotten all the quilting girls in my group and my sister who has never quilted in her life to hand piece. Even my friend who claims her hands hurt her too bad. It has actually helped her hands. So, YOU GO GIRL. Keep it up!

QuiltingrandmafromMi 08-29-2010 05:17 AM

I hand stitched 2 quilts, several years back, and like so many, couldn't find the time to drag out the machine, it was just easier to pick up the needle and thread. I still have one that needs finishing. Plan on getting it done in the near future.

damaquilts 08-29-2010 05:38 AM

I have a grandmothers flower garden I cut pieces to take to the hospital with me. I get bored out of my mind when I had to be there for a week. TV is not all that great during the day.
I learned completely by hand and did a few back when but I like to see results fast . So the machine is the way to go. I have found though lately I am just not doing a whole lot of piecing. hmm.

I do hand quilt though some things. I have an appliqued quilt I am hand quilting . Did most of it while recouping from surgery. I need to get back and finish before Christmas. It was promised to someone 4 years ago. lol

Parrothead 08-29-2010 05:49 AM

I hand quilt because that was the way I was taught. My grandmother would not be happy with me if I machine stitch. (She's in heaven.) I also like it because of all of the reasons stated above. I cannot just sit, I have to have something to do.

katiebear1 08-29-2010 05:52 AM

I hate hand work. Mostly because my hands and fingers are too stiff and they ache afterwards.

Annaquilts 08-29-2010 05:55 AM

I have an English paper piecing project for when I am camping or traveling. It is also suiting and nice to have next to a chair in the house so I have something quick for when I am just sitting.