Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wild winding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wild-winding-t13451.html)

DA Mayer 11-17-2008 04:34 PM

what kind of machine do you have and do you have spare bobbins? are you able to use any bobbins? I have a Kenmore 150 and the metal bobbins I bought for it are bouncing when I wind them. Anyone else have this kind of problem?

bearisgray 11-17-2008 05:23 PM

My machines only like the bobbbins that are made for them.

In other words, one size does not fit all.

Jim's Gem 11-17-2008 05:43 PM

I have a Bernina 630 and I buy Bernina bobbins. I like having lots of bobbins just ready to go so I have at least 40 bobbins and I wind most of them up with ecru or light grey. When I am ready to quilt a quilt I will wind at least 3 or 4 with thread to match the back. Sometimes the spool of thread spins a lot as I wind and that makes noise. Even JoAnns carries bobbins for different makes, I bought 3 pkgs with a 50% off notions sale. 4 came with my machine and I bought 4 more from my dealer and then bought a batch of 15 or 20 on e-bay

sewjoyce 11-17-2008 05:48 PM

I have a Bernina 200 and a 440QE. They just happen to use different size bobbins :evil: Just make sure the bobbins you're using are the correct ones for that machine. Also, your bobbin probably winds faster than you sew, so it could bounce the machine a little. You can put that rubberized shelf liner underneath. My 200 is the one I use for embroidery and without the shelf liner stuff, it sounds and looks like it's going to bounce off the table... :wink:

tlrnhi 11-17-2008 05:57 PM

I only use the plastic bobbins that are made for my Kenmore. I've tried the metal ones that say they CAN be used with Kenmore, but, like yours, they bounce. So I fixed that problem....I tossed them all out.

DA Mayer 11-17-2008 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I only use the plastic bobbins that are made for my Kenmore. I've tried the metal ones that say they CAN be used with Kenmore, but, like yours, they bounce. So I fixed that problem....I tossed them all out.

Do you order them from Sears? I bought some plastic ones and they were too small.. Thanks for the tip

bearisgray 11-17-2008 06:10 PM

The lady at the sewing machine place told me that the repair place calibrates the machine for either a plastic or metal bobbin.

I've used both metal and plastic bobbins with my Pfaff (mid 1980's ) and the old Singers (1960s) and they seem to work okay to me.

I also like to have LOTS of bobbins on hand. Can't waste that last 20 feet of thread on that bobbin, now, can we.

tlrnhi 11-17-2008 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by DA Mayer

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Do you order them from Sears? I bought some plastic ones and they were too small.. Thanks for the tip

I usually have people send them to me. Every once in a while there may be one or two in the package that just "aren't right". Usually don't find them until the bobbin is fully wound, but I'll just rewind onto another bobbin and toss the wonky one.

Jim's Gem 11-17-2008 06:41 PM

It's funny, I hate wasting thread so I will either throw in my almost empty bobbins when I am piecing small items or sometime I will just use it on the top where I can keep an eye on it. I never start quilting with a partial bobbin. Always a full one, hate to run out while quilting!!!!

Marilyn Philips 11-17-2008 06:46 PM

I have 2 Kenmores and a Brother and found that Class 15 metal or plastic will work on all of them. The only bounce I have had was because the bobbin was not snapped in completely and left too much wiggle room.