Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will fabric prices go up higher? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-fabric-prices-go-up-higher-t244987.html)

crafty pat 04-11-2014 10:13 AM

Will fabric prices go up higher?

I heard on the news last night that cotton prices are going up again. Wondering how much higher our fabric prices will go?

DebraK 04-11-2014 10:18 AM

There's a lot of fabric out there that's affordable. You just have to shop the deals, trends be damned ;-)

cathyvv 04-11-2014 10:20 AM

I agree. That's my approach and it always has been.

scrapinmema 04-11-2014 10:34 AM

I try to purchase fabric that isn't the latest out there. Almost everything I get is on the discontinued table at 50+% off. When I find what I like will by a minimum of 4 yards and go from there. The last sale (one day only) I found fabric at a $1.00 a yard. Bought over $200 worth and normal price was $11.00 a yard. It is really beautiful and can't wait to put stuff together to make my quilts.

BETTY62 04-11-2014 10:40 AM

As long as we quilters are willing to pay it, prices will continue to go up. However, if sales become slow, we can also get some really good sale prices.

Quiltngolfer 04-11-2014 11:44 AM

That is why I have stashed away fabric. I am retired and have been collecting fabric kits, or projects that I want to make for years. I have them organized in gift bags ready to make a quilt. I don't buy much fabric anymore because I have plenty of projects to work on. I use my birthday and Christmas gift cards to buy new fabric. I feel like I can buy the LQS fabric with them and it's nothing out of my pocket. Yeah! The kids love to give me gift cards to quilt stores because they get quilts. That makes us all happy! Buy enough to keep you busy and happy. There are a lot of bargains out there still.

Littlebearquiltingboard 04-11-2014 11:46 AM

What is the average price of fabric in the US? In the UK the average price for the latest quilting fabric is £3.50 for a fat quarter, £14 per metre, I've just run that through the currency converter and it works out at just over $23.

Nammie to 7 04-11-2014 12:00 PM

That is a lot of money! $23.00 per yard -- in SD is runs about $11.00 per yard. But no matter what the price I consider it cheaper than therapy! I will always find the money to do what I enjoy!

ManiacQuilter2 04-11-2014 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 6670958)
As long as we quilters are willing to pay it, prices will continue to go up. However, if sales become slow, we can also get some really good sale prices.

Or possibly your LQS closing. Mine is. I stopped every time I got groceries at the local grocery store and always found something to buy that I needed. But she told me her sales fell drastically starting last November. The first in line were quilters that didn't shop at her store but they were there for her going out of business sale. NOW, I will only have Hobby Lobby, Walmart and JAF. :(

ManiacQuilter2 04-11-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6671066)
That is a lot of money! $23.00 per yard -- in SD is runs about $11.00 per yard. But no matter what the price I consider it cheaper than therapy! I will always find the money to do what I enjoy!

I have heard how expensive fabric is in Canada. But if you think of the cost of shipping a bolt with 15 to 18 yards to England, that cost has to be passed onto the customer. Plus any tariffs that the British government puts on imports. I have had a few friends tell me how expensive fabric was in England when the visited the country. Only thing I won't be able to do that is on my Bucket list, a trip to my Great Great Grandfather's homeland and his father's grave.