Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will The Futuristic Sewing Machines Still Be Friendly To It’s Users If They're Hijack (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-futuristic-sewing-machines-still-friendly-%92s-users-if-theyre-hijack-t309741.html)

Iona D. 02-13-2020 01:09 PM

Will The Futuristic Sewing Machines Still Be Friendly To It’s Users If They're Hijack

I love using sewing machines. I have been using sewing machines for 50 years now. When I started way back in the now obsolete Home Economics, having a built in zig zag stitch option and possibly additional stitch selection cams were the rage (and in the upper price range) of that day. In my class, we were limited to straight stitch only using console limited Singer Model 99 sewing machines from the 1930s. Clunky and finicky that they were, one major basic thing united them with the far pricier sewing machines of that day was-they were all 100% mechanical. Electronic and especially completely computerized models for home use were not available for another ten years or so. The Internet for an additional 20 years beyond that as well for home use with just extremely slow Internet speeds (dial up) available.

Now with the advent of the “smart home” revolution, the fully computerized sewing machine is right at home with the rest of the space age shiny appealing even more labor saving appliances. All are linked together in the all encompassing World Wide Web. All are created to make the user’s life easier. Or does it?

I have my personal doubts. With the addition of using the Internet within my home with just this laptop and a couple of smartphones, I had to learn to protect myself from various nefarious groups of people who were out to gain mostly financial control of my life online and/or offline. Hijacking is the most popular way of doing so. I-and all of you-live in this world now has had to learn a new set of mindskills. One must adapt in order to function-but only to a point of one’s own comfort zone. My own choice of this comfort zone was to limit my involvement in the “Smart Home” lifestyle revolution. I don’t see the need or use for “smart” ovens, overblowned vacuum cleaners, or overhyped televisions. I don’t want a robot cat or dog.

I think a little “electronic assist” is not bad. Needle up/down, speed control, or foot pedal optional is fine and I would have at least 1 machine with those options. Controlled by the Internet? Unless I had a real need (like returning to sewing as a business), I don’t want it. I prefer to keep up my old (and new) trusty dependable mechanical sewing machines until I am no longer here. I don’t see how the sewing machine manufacturers can do all the updates needed to protect their sewing machines from the “bad influences, viruses, and malware that’s floating around out there just waiting for an opening to a weakened system to get in and do some real damage.

Can it happen? If the sewing machine can be hooked up to the internet and not been updated for a long while, it’s possible. Unless the real reason why the sewing machine was bought (for elaborate designs and other sewing options beyond basic construction), I just don’t see it for my own present or future uses.

Do you in your own home or workshop?

pocoellie 02-13-2020 04:57 PM

I'm not much for computers or computerized sewing machines, along with other various items(vehicles, etc.) I have 26 machines, all but one are mechanical, I highly doubt that I'll be getting any newer computerized machine.

quiltingshorttimer 02-13-2020 05:24 PM

If you don't have a "smart home"--one that is wired for your electronic refrig, tv, etc I don't think you have to worry much about this per my son who is a fiber optic/telecommunications tech. Plus most of us--at least those in more rural areas--don't have the broadband internet services to actually run all those things. That being said--my son is adamant that he will not have any type "alexa" device in his home as it listens to everything and records it--too much an invasion of privacy!

Rhonda K 02-13-2020 05:39 PM

I'm not worried. My machine has wireless capabilities too. Designs can be sent to it from the lap top. Can you imagine if we could wave our machine at the LQS register and pay for fabric purchases? In a lighter moment, when I break a needle or have a thread jam, I wish someone would take it. Let the repairman remote in to fix machine issues? Sure.

Honestly though, one should be mindful of technology.

patricej 02-13-2020 05:59 PM

if your machine is connected to your home network ... wireless or wired ... and your network is not secure, then yes. a hacker could invade every device on your network.

"smart technology" does not guarantee smart users.

it's great that we are free to choose for ourselves what we use and don't use.

it's also necessary to really think to make sure it's all done as safely and securely as possible.

Gay 02-13-2020 05:59 PM

While I do love my computer - I can spend whole days solving how quilts were made & block sizes etc, along with playing a few simple games - I have long complained that progress is not necessarily a good thing, and often believe it would be nice to go back to the old days. Country life was good & even in the cities not so many people, cars, crime, & life was slower. Now we get scammed whichever way we look, and 'though my embroidery machines don't connect to the internet I am surprised no one has attached a virus of some sort to the designs we download.
Much of these problems weren't thought of back in the 40s, they've all developed with 'progress'

Peckish 02-13-2020 08:05 PM

"Hijacking"?? I'm pretty sure you mean "hacking".
I agree with Patrice about having a secured home network.
However, I'm less worried about a hacker accessing my financial data through a sewing machine connected to my home network (really, not probable at all) and more worried about my financial data being accessed because of carelessness and incompetence with companies and people who are supposed to be keeping that info secure but don't; i.e. Equifax, Target, etc.

A lot of the modern internet-enabled home devices do have benefits. I can open my garage door remotely for a friend who is returning a borrowed tool or dropping off a casserole; I can talk remotely to mail and delivery drivers and instruct them on where to place a package to best thwart porch pirates. I can diagnose an issue with a malfunctioning refrigerator, and remotely start my washing machine, which is handy in municipalities where you pay a premium price for using water and electricity during certain peak hours. Such technology isn't for everyone, however; if you don't feel quite up to the challenge of learning anything new, you can simply choose not to connect your devices to the internet. It's that simple.

cindi 02-14-2020 03:43 AM

I didn’t read the entire thing (the bold print throughout was too much for my eyes), but got the gist of the conversation from the title. No, I’m not worried at all. Pretty sure the Chinese and Russians are not waiting for me to hook up my computerized machines to steal anything. They certainly can’t get any cash from my sewing machine, so what’s their incentive? I don’t expect they’ll hold it hostage until I make them a quilt or pay them in fat quarters :D!! Like Patrice and Peggi said, if your home internet is secure, no worries.

Onebyone 02-14-2020 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8360599)
not have any type "alexa" device in his home as it listens to everything and records it--too much an invasion of privacy!

I have Google Home but I only plug it in the socket when I want to use it so no privacy worries.
I mostly use it for one thing. Hey Google, call _____-____-___. Google will dial my phone and I don't have to search the house for it. It has been worth the $30 I paid for it just for this purpose. LOL I don't like the fact so many needed functions of a home can be controlled by the internet. But the older I get I can see the need for having certain things done by simply using a cell phone. Did you see the new insoles for shoes? It tracks people, those with memory loss, so they can be found if they stray away from home.

juliasb 02-14-2020 06:57 AM

My preference is to stay unattached to the internet for my home. No Smart home for me! I am not concerned about security as I keep good firewall and password coding on everything.. My sewing machine are all older machines and depend solely on me for operation. I do however allow electricity for the majority of my machines.