Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Will I EVER be a quilt???" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-i-ever-quilt-t189746.html)

Neesie 05-22-2012 05:47 PM

"Will I EVER be a quilt???"

That's what my granddaughter's quilt is probably crying. :( I pieced it, before we moved. Then I didn't have room to spread it out and finish it. Now I do have room but decided to applique hearts, instead of just outlining them, on the machine. So started making the hearts, using the turned fusible interfacing method. Ran out of fabric, so had to get more. Ran out of interfacing, which required another trip. Finally got the hearts all assembled (58? of them) but then decided I didn't really like that they're so thick. The solid blocks, to which they'd be appliqued, are a softer fabric. So! Decided to just do the fusible (can't think of what it's called but I have the Lite and the Ultrahold) and then satin stitch around them. Now I've convinced myself that'll be too stiff for the softer fabric (afraid the stitching will end up puckering). SO! Now I'm thinking I should go back to the original plan and just machine stitch the heart shapes, through to the backing (to which the top is already basted). At least I hadn't undone the basting.

I'm about to drive myself insane!!!!!!!!! The original markings are mostly faded out, so will have to retrace them. Am just hoping I can get through the night and get that done tomorrow, before I change my mind AGAIN! ARRRRGH!!!

I'm afraid to even think about the binding, at this point . . . .

I have 58 pink hearts, plus a few extras, for some future project. :shock:

eann 05-22-2012 05:54 PM

Good idea to sleep on it....you may come up with another idea!!! The machine stitched hearts sound perfect. Good luck, make sure you have enough thread!

Neesie 05-22-2012 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by eann (Post 5236110)
Good idea to sleep on it....you may come up with another idea!!! The machine stitched hearts sound perfect. Good luck, make sure you have enough thread!

Thanks. Yeah, I really should check the thread, BEFORE I get started. Recently got a new spool but since I didn't have a scrap of the fabric with me, just guessed at the color. Might be a good idea to check on that, huh? LOL

MimiBug123 05-22-2012 08:55 PM

This sounds like some of my dilemmas!

Sew N Tune 05-23-2012 04:56 AM

I don't think the hearts done with the interfacing would be too stiff. I've done this many times. I would use those 58 hearts. Your grand daughter will be so pleased that you put all your hearts in one place. LOL

applique 05-23-2012 05:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you use the satin stitch to put on the hearts, be sure to use a tear away stabilizer behind them to help keep them flat (even if they are fused) and minimize puckering!

Tartan 05-23-2012 05:39 AM

Your grandaughter will love it however you get it done. The hearts with the interfacing may feel heavy now but once they are stitched down and the background blocks well quilted, you won't notice the thickness difference. The benefit of the interfacing is the hearts will wear really well.

jcrow 05-23-2012 06:15 AM

I think you need to walk away from it for a few days until an "idea" hits you. Maybe work on something else. They say that a lot of your answers come to you while you are sleeping. So, maybe, wait for the answer to come to you.

Normabeth 05-23-2012 06:17 AM

It will be a true labor of love for your granddaughter.