Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will the stiffness of the fusible web wash out? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-stiffness-fusible-web-wash-out-t299372.html)

Cyndi C 09-06-2018 08:03 AM

Will the stiffness of the fusible web wash out?

To make a long and embarrassing story short I think I have made a BIG mistake. I have fused my 35 X 50 baby block on top of a 50 X 60 piece of fabric. It worked well, too well. It is now very firm and stiff. I am very disappointed and feel like I have ruined all that hard work. Will the fusible web soften or wash out? My plan was to needle turn the edges of the baby blocks piece, then complete the quilt and stitch in the ditch. I need some serious ideas and help, please.

feline fanatic 09-06-2018 08:19 AM

Hi and welcome to the board. It depends what fusible you used. Some do soften up, others do not. There are even some on the market that do wash out. Do you know what brand and type you used?

In the future, if you plan to needle turn applique there is no point at all in fusing. If you don't like to pin your applique in place or baste it, you can adhere the applique using elmers washable school glue either the white kind that comes in the bottles or the glue sticks that are usually purple but dry clear. Make sure they are marked Ultra Washable School Glue. Also stay away from the edges with the glue so you can turn it as and also to avoid getting any near where you will be sewing as it can dry hard enough to make it difficult to get the needle through the fibers.

This product will hold your applique in place until you sew it down and then it washes out completely leaving no stiffness at all.

I hope you used a product that will soften up but in my experience all leave in fusibles do change the hand of the fabric. The least noticeable one is mistyfuse.

Tartan 09-06-2018 09:45 AM

Oh dear, if it was regular Heat&Bond, it does not soften much. The good news is it is permanately fused and you might also put a layer of batt behind that appliqué and quilt top before stitching 1/8 in from the edge (trim away the batt outside the stitching line) of the appliqué for a trapunto effect. You then sandwich the quilt as usual and due to the extra “puff” behind the appliqué, it won’t matter if it is a little stiff.

QuiltnNan 09-06-2018 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8122331)
Oh dear, if it was regular Heat&Bond, it does not soften much. The good news is it is permanately fused and you might also put a layer of batt behind that appliqué and quilt top before stitching 1/8 in from the edge (trim away the batt outside the stitching line) of the appliqué for a trapunto effect. You then sandwich the quilt as usual and due to the extra “puff” behind the appliqué, it won’t matter if it is a little stiff.

good solution, Tartan

Cyndi C 09-06-2018 11:39 AM

Thank you so much! I was actually thinking about doing exactly what you had said. I read a post earlier today, (not on this board) about how to remove fusible web; You do the same process in reverse....? Anyone ever tried? I'm going to give it a shot using some of my leftover fabric. If its a fail I'll be sure to post.

bearisgray 09-06-2018 11:41 AM

You could just stitch the edges down with a satin stitch - maybe?

Ariannaquilts 09-06-2018 09:15 PM

I only use heat and bond light because it stays pliable not stiff like a board. Sadly unless you do what Tartan is suggesting there is not a lot to be done, it's not like you can peel it. I wonder if you don't have a backing of any kind on it yet if maybe you could sort of melt it off?
BTW welcome to the board!

leighway 09-08-2018 05:11 AM

Not to be facetious...I'd bind it simply and make a piece of wall art. Add a sleeve, hang it up, put all fusible except water soluble out of reach and sit down and begin a new quilt.

Cyndi C 09-08-2018 02:35 PM

LOL! I seriously considered that TOO!

Cyndi C 09-08-2018 02:57 PM

I was wondering about if that was possible so I did a test. You CAN heat and melt it and peel it off at that same time. With my test I found that the fabric I adhered to is toast and still have reasonable amount of fusible web on the pieced portion. It does create quite a bit of stress on the fabric. I do think it would NOT be a good idea for me to try it on this. It's just to big.