Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will Work for Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-work-fabric-t88883.html)

Holice 01-09-2011 07:06 AM

One word of caution. How much fabric can u use.....notice I didn't say want. My sister and her quilt group did work for fabric from a fabric company and they very quickly said stop stop stop....."we have more than we can ever use". While it sounds really good there can be a downsize. Find out what fabric you can get for the work. Is it on sale fabric or latest arrival. The most expensive or......and how much per hour of work. If you get the equivalent of minimum wage and the minimum is say.....$6.oo per hr and you work 6 hrs. that is $36.00 of fabric and you work 3 days a week.......do the math before you agree.
Also get an agreement for time of teaching. How will the class fee be divided. Again, at a per hour rate. This is similar to bartering...Also, what are your state's tax laws about this type of work. Be careful and get all the details before you start.

Holice 01-09-2011 07:08 AM

Another point.....you have to treat this as if you were paid so there will be no misunderstanding in the future.

Anne Marie 01-09-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
Another point.....you have to treat this as if you were paid so there will be no misunderstanding in the future.

Thanks for all your advise. We are hoping to move to Australia within the year, I hear that fabric is very expensive there so I am thinking ahead.

suebee 01-09-2011 07:32 AM

what do hubbys know?? I would jump all over that one.LOL
Go for it!! BTW...love your avatar.

auntbarb 01-09-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by karen65ae
Congratulations.... Have fun.

karen65ae 01-09-2011 08:07 AM

Yes it is expensive in Australia so stock up...lol.
If you join a quilting club you might be able to barter material ..

emelem 01-09-2011 08:07 AM

I worked for Joann's for 8 years and believe me, it is worth it. You get a discount on everything and have advance notice when things are going on sale. Just ask me how much fabric you can buy, at discount, for 8 years. I have a whole room full.

amma 01-09-2011 08:11 AM

WOW!! What a great deal all the way around :D:D:D

moonwork42029 01-09-2011 08:28 AM

Almost 30 years ago, I was between jobs after my son was born. We lived in a very small town and the LQS needed help during inventory so I was hired for a couple months.

I remember at least twice having to write them a check for my greatly discounted materials.

I had a great stash already but added to it tremendously. My hubby said I had to quit and get a "real job" that paid us instead of us paying them.

chickadeee55 01-09-2011 08:31 AM

Oh good for you. I use to do that, I worked Saturdays and was paid in fabric. All was well, until someone else that also got paid that way complained, and then the owner of the shop got in trouble with the tax people, having workers and not providing unemployment benefits.
I always considered it bartering. Someone always has to ruin it for others.
But enjoy, to me working in a LQS, isn't really work most of the time.