Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will this work? (Rag quilt) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-work-rag-quilt-t178906.html)

SWEETPEACHES 02-10-2012 04:52 PM

Will this work? (Rag quilt)

I don't have any flannel or batting to use for the center. Then, I remembered that I have a blanket I can cut up. (cut up a blanket to make a quilt,ha) But the blanket is 100% polyester, not flannel like I thought .And it says not to tumble dry. Can I use that in the center of my rag quilt sandwich or not. thanks.

AliKat 02-10-2012 05:08 PM

I wouldn't use that blanket because it says not to tumble dry. It might just take too long for your quilt to dry after washing and it would definitely take up a lot of space while it dries.

That's me.

ali

ckcowl 02-10-2012 05:11 PM

i would say no---you need to be able to dry your raggy quilt in order to get it all fluffed-
you could wash & dry your blanket (if you are willing to sacrifice it anyway) and see how it comes out---if it lives through being washed & dried then you could use it-
what are you planning to use for the top & bottom of your raggy quilt? regular quilting cottons? i've seen a couple turn out ok when an extra layer of muslin was used- just 2 layers of regular cotton does not give you much to (fray/fluff) alot of my raggy's are made with cotton on one side cotton flannel on the other- some people do make raggy quilts with out any batting- just layers of fabric-that is another option if your blanket does not live through washing/drying....but i would recommend a layer of muslin or something (cotton) in the center....

Leonita 02-10-2012 05:13 PM

I wouln't use poly as it doesn't shrink. Do you have some extra flannel. I had some i found for $1yd & have used that. Also I don't alway use a center fabric. Depends on where it goes. Warm/cold weaterh.

SWEETPEACHES 02-10-2012 05:23 PM

Oh! i just remembered! I have fleece! Can I use that in the center? Yes, I was going to use regular cotton for the top and bottom.
Can cotton and flannel be mix and matched with fleece in the center?

virtualbernie 02-10-2012 06:04 PM

I don't know what other's will say but I do know that cotton and flannel shrink at different rates so you will definitely have to prewash your fabric.

cat2quilt 02-10-2012 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES (Post 4963136)
Oh! i just remembered! I have fleece! Can I use that in the center? Yes, I was going to use regular cotton for the top and bottom.
Can cotton and flannel be mix and matched with fleece in the center?

If you want to use fleece as the batting, it should work.

dunster 02-10-2012 07:23 PM

I have made several rag quilts with just the two layers of flannel, nothing in the middle. Other times I use 3 layers of flannel.

dublb 02-10-2012 07:55 PM

My rag quilt was 2 layers of flannel. It ragged well!!

theoldgraymare 02-10-2012 08:13 PM

I made a rag quilt without any "middle" to the sandwich, and it is the perfect weight for my part of the country.