Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will This Work for a Shakespeare in the Park --dark for the background (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-work-shakespeare-park-dark-background-t248859.html)

ManiacQuilter2 06-22-2014 08:38 AM

Love your fabrics. You might want to make a test block and see how it comes out. A very interesting twist on an old block called Snail Trail. I would sort them out as lights and darks maybe even doing the into sets of two darks and two lights. Hope this makes sense.

I DO AGREE with Jan of VA. You have chosen fabric that would work perfectly well with a Bargello.

Emma S 06-22-2014 08:39 AM

I share your concern that the two groups may not have enough contrast, as QuiltE suggested maybe shift some of the darker blues to the purple and use only the very lightest blues for the light part. This is certainly on my bucket list, please show us your progress.

AngelinaMaria 06-22-2014 08:59 AM

Thanks for your input. It confirms my hesitation that there won't be enough contrast to only use Blues and purples and only use mediums and darks. I am going to ask on a separate thread about custom dying fabrics.

QuiltE 06-22-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria (Post 6769102)
QuiltE--I'm thinking about not using a white or other light color at all. So, it would only be purples and blues--mostly mediums and darks. One color would be the background (white in most people's versions) and the other would be the design fabric.

I am working on constructing a coloring version of this quilt using graph paper to play around a bit with the colors and I may end up with something closer to the pink and green version or one of the other similar ones where the colors are spread either horizontally or diagonally. If I do this, then I have to figure out a background fabric.

Look around ... I've seen an almost white batik that has smooshes of the mauves and blues in it. It has a nice light colour all over, and nothing predominating. Then work with your batiks ... maybe leaving out the lightest of each, in order to get contrast.

I don't know how the pattern plays out .... do you have parts of all the blocks identified as needing dark/medium/light? Or does it end up being totally scrappy, once you decide which fabrics you are using?

The truth is .. not everything has to have huge contrasts with flashing lights!
Subtlety can work ... and work really well.
Prime example ... that green and pink one you directed us to! :)

snipforfun 06-22-2014 09:25 AM

My avatar is a SITP. If you go to judymartin.com youncana see tons od pictures

AngelinaMaria 06-22-2014 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK (Post 6769003)
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question, I just had to tell you that I am in love with the selection of fabrics you have. Man alive they are beautiful. How much do you have of each? Did you get them different places or at the same place? I love batiks and I don't have many lights. Of course shades of blue and purple are some of my favorite colors. BrendaK

Brenda--about 60% of these are from the Reef collection from Hoffman. Others I already had. I actually have a huge collection of purples from a recent quilt I did in all purple and I'm working on a log cabin that has aquas, blues and greens.

grma33 06-22-2014 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I`m working on the same one.Your colors are great but I think you need a light background I lucky to find this light grey batik
Post when you get few blocks done
Gae

Dolphyngyrl 06-22-2014 11:56 AM

Love the fabric, very pretty, the problem lies in that they are all about the same value so as you said the contrast will not be there. Maybe if you can find a few more darker fabrics to give a little more contrast

jclinganrey 06-22-2014 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]480045[/ATTACH]

Here's one rendition.

IMHO - - - you need to have plenty of contrast.

Jane

jclinganrey 06-22-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 6769207)
My avatar is a SITP. If you go to judymartin.com youncana see tons od pictures

Or Google Shakespeare in the Park quilts and you'll find all sorts of eye candy!

Jane