Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Will you brainstorm with me? Quilt Block names (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/will-you-brainstorm-me-quilt-block-names-t205985.html)

CorgiNole 11-15-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 5657840)
Borrow a scout book. From the library or the scout leader to see all the different badges there are, also the additional badges for special occasions Etc or go onto scout site and look at all the items for sale. Donot forget the area badge , group badges and country badges.jubillee badges. All usually including dates. I'm English so our badges are differen t that is why it is vague. My bro is a s out leader a quilt for him would include, rock climbing, abseiling rowing, cooking maps sewing, trifol, staffs knot, as far as blocks go would match up or applique.

I do have quite a few resources from the scout side as I was his Den Leader for 5 years and am about to become the Troop Committee Chair.

I will probably also make an Eagle Quilt for him - with applique and reproductions - and some of the giant patches they sell for the ranks - so that is a parallel project.

Cheers, K

JustAbitCrazy 11-15-2012 09:51 PM

Maybe there are images in paper piecing block books which could apply. Sounds like a sweet project. Good luck!

CorgiNole 11-19-2012 07:45 AM

Well we can add the themes "freezing" and "fire" to our Scout experience... Camped with the troop on Friday night. Last time I checked the weather forecast it was for mid-40's overnight. My guess is low 30s and there was a layer of frost out in the field. He was toasty warm in the two man tent with one of his buddies - it has a window at one end and a door at the other. Me, not so much, turns out his one-man tent that I borrowed is definitely a summer tent... thankfully I upgraded my sleeping bag, so at least I was toasty warm in the bag, but it took a good 30 minutes to crawl back out...

Gus had a great time - and finally managed to get a fire lit. Of the 10 boys there, not one had matches with them. Well, turns out Gus did, but he didn't look in the correct pocket of his backpack...

Cheers, K

DogHouseMom 11-19-2012 09:21 AM

You might be better off picking a series of blocks first ... then fitting a meaningful story to them. QuiltersCache and the Bachman book are both great resources.

Write down any block that could have any remote possibilty of fitting into a story - for example I went through QuiltersCache A-F blocks and came up with the following .... Butter & Eggs, Captain of His Ship, Cathy's Campfire, Constellation, Coxey's Camp, Duck Tracks, Darting Minnows, Ebb Tide, Eight Hands Round, End of the Day, Everybody's Favorite, Fair Play, Four Leaf Clover.

I can convert these to a story as follows: On Sunday the Captain of His Ship took us camping to Coxey's Camp. With all Eight Hands Round we were able to get the tents erected. Later, follwing the Duck Tracks, we made our way to the river and at Ebb Tide were able to see the Darting Minnows. At the End of the Day we sat around Cathy's Campfire and sang Everyody's Favorite songs.

I used most of them.

Of course you want to make your's personal ... but if you make a long enough list of various blocks you should be able to come up with some personal references.

JenniePenny 11-19-2012 12:07 PM

Starry Path, Gentlenan's fancy, North Star, Crocket Cabin maybe?

JenniePenny 11-19-2012 12:37 PM

Handy Andy, A Salute to the Colors, Corn and Beans, Red Cross, Woodland Path