Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Winding bobbin - what happened??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/winding-bobbin-what-happened-t281250.html)

PAKate 08-11-2016 01:40 PM

Winding bobbin - what happened???

I've been using cones of thread for about a year. Today I opening a new cone and started winding my bobbin and before I new it I had piles of knotted thread hanging from the cone. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure what to think about this. I switched to another cone of thread that I had used previously and no problem winding the bobbin.

osewme 08-11-2016 02:03 PM

I don't use the cones but it sounds like it may have been faulty from the factory. Are you threading your machine in the same direction (thread coming off of the cone) in your normal manner? I don't know if cone thread has to come off of the cone in a certain direction. This is just a thought on my part since I don't use them. Can you send it/take it back where you purchased it & let them know what happened (for a refund or exchange)?

Barb in Louisiana 08-11-2016 02:34 PM

I use 1200 meter and 5000 meter cones all the time and have never had that problem, or in fact, any problem with loading a bobbin from the cone. It sounds like the beginning of the thread was still under other threads on the cone. Maybe bad from the factory, although, I've used dozens and never had one do that. Can you get to a point where the thread isn't tangled all up and pulling off smoothly?

Onebyone 08-11-2016 02:39 PM

It sounds like the beginning of the thread was still under other threads on the cone
That was my thought too.

DOTTYMO 08-11-2016 10:11 PM

How frustrating. Sounds like a problem from the manufacturer. Can you unwind until you get a good result.

notmorecraft 08-11-2016 11:16 PM

How did you find the end of the thread to start with? One time I had trouble finding the end used scissors and this happened I had cut a piece that wasn't the end lol .

NJ Quilter 08-12-2016 03:07 AM

I've had this issue very rarely because I was going too fast and the cone was jumping around. If that was not the case, I can only agree with the others that it may have just been a bad cone from the manufacturer.

Jane Quilter 08-12-2016 03:20 AM

contact the mfg, see what they say......and share with us. If you e-mail them, send a pic. I'd like to see a pic too.

PAKate 08-12-2016 05:16 AM

I bought the 3000 yd cone of Gutermann thread at joann.com last summer so I'm over the 90 days return policy. The reason I didn't post a picture is because I don't know how. I've read the directions on posting pictures but can't find the square with a tree in it. I do appreciate all the responses.

Bree123 08-12-2016 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would hope with a faulty thread that Guterman would still be willing to replace it for you. I'd still try contacting them.

As for how to post a photo:
Here's what the icon looks like (if only I could send you a real red arrow & red box):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]555841[/ATTACH]