Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Winter Project...Fair quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/winter-project-fair-quilt-t316337.html)

lindaschipper 09-09-2021 05:05 AM

Winter Project...Fair quilt

I'll be turning 70 after the new year and starting to realize that I can't quilt forever with a bad back and hip. But I do want to make a memoriable quilt this winter while being snowed in and would love to enter it in the County Fair in August 2022. Pattern choice of course is mine, and for some reason I'm thinking I've never seen a great Halloween quilt entered, but need to know from anyone who has entered a quilt in a contest what to expect and what to look out for. Any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

greensleeves 09-09-2021 08:39 AM

Winners are usually eye-catching and well made. A fall/Halloween quilt I really like and would be both an eye-catcher and challenging is the one with pumpkins that has a different pieced block for the center of each pumpkin. Don't know the name or where to direct you to see it but it would be worth it to check it out. I'm sure someone will know the one I'm referring to and where to find it. Good Luck with whatever project you pick and keep us posted as to your progress.

Iceblossom 09-09-2021 08:53 AM

The first thing to do is to read/understand the requirements for the show/fair you are entering. Of course, all workmanship needs to be to the highest degree possible. Some quilters will do multiple blocks, even multiple quilts before submitting one. This is a pretty good breakdown:
https://quintessentialquilting.com/b...judging-part-2

Originality is big. A kit has to be done beyond perfect. A well known pattern should reflect the maker, and not the designer of the pattern. Not to say you can't win with either of the two.

At least in my area of the country, applique is always a viewer's choice winner. Of course, workmanship needs to be high, but just a simple vine and flowers type border around a pieced sampler always gets more votes than a purely pieced project.

A number of years ago, I got called in as a last minute replacement for a county fair when one of the judges was in a car accident. I was known to the other judge and from outside the county/primary guild of that area and available with limited notice so was called... We had a very clear package of judge instructions. Our winner was not the people's winner and not exactly to my taste/color preferences -- but it was just truly exquisite. I've also had the opportunity to compile quilt guild show votes.

Peckish 09-09-2021 09:23 AM

Make sure you understand the rules of the show. I've entered some shows that will not allow quilts made from kits into the competition. They'll hang it, but they won't judge it or give it a ribbon. Most shows also have rules regarding sizes and categories. Some shows will have a special category or theme for that year, check to see what your fair offers.

Tartan 09-09-2021 10:04 AM

Since it is a County Fair, read the size requirements and categories to get it in the right spot. We get fewer quilts in our pieced and appliqué mixed division so that is something to consider. Try to keep everything straight and square as some judges are picky about rippling borders and binding. Good luck and have fun!

JayEll 09-09-2021 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves (Post 8506954)
Winners are usually eye-catching and well made. A fall/Halloween quilt I really like and would be both an eye-catcher and challenging is the one with pumpkins that has a different pieced block for the center of each pumpkin. Don't know the name or where to direct you to see it but it would be worth it to check it out. I'm sure someone will know the one I'm referring to and where to find it. Good Luck with whatever project you pick and keep us posted as to your progress.

I’m not sure if this is the one you’re referencing but it might fit the bill.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/hocus...pattern-basket

mjpEncinitas 09-10-2021 07:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve won ribbons from the San Diego county fair multiple times. The San Diego county fair is a large fair, much bigger than a the Indiana state fair. those are the only two fairs I’ve been to.

. While I didn’t enter a Halloween quilt I did enter a set of four Day of the Dead quilts. They won 2nd. Below are two of them. My husband Drew the wedding picture. We often collaborate on quilts. The other two included another sugar skull and ‘ dancing linda’. I believe the judges like originality. I gave the other two away.
All the quilts that I’ve entered have won a prize and none of them have been made from patterns.

good luck!

Peckish 09-10-2021 03:48 PM

Your Day of the Dead quilts are lovely! They brought back a memory that makes me chuckle - I took my mom and my grandmother to a quilt show in Portland a few years back, and there was an absolutely gorgeous D.o.o.D quilt hanging in the show. My 88 y.o. grandmother tsk-tsked and was very disapproving; she didn't think it at all appropriate to have skulls hanging in a quilt show. I tried to explain to her the historical and cultural significance, but she didn't seem to get it (maybe I didn't explain it well). I remember chuckling to myself and thinking it was a good thing I didn't take her to QuiltCon, which most certainly would have a quilt or two hanging that she would have found even more offensive! 😆

mjpEncinitas 09-10-2021 04:05 PM

In my first boom swap, here on the board I sent DAy of the Dead fabric. I had one woman who knew all about it. I sent this short video for everyone else https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQnUuq-TEE. Maybe this would help change grandma’s mind. It’s only 3-4 minutes. Animated award winning.

tropit 09-12-2021 06:51 AM

Good for you! You've got my support. I've always wanted to enter a quilt, but my talent is limited and some of those ladies that enter our local fair every year are way beyond my level. I do go to admire their quilts each year though.

I was going to enter the cake contest this year, but with Covid and all of the fires, I wasn't sure that there would be a fair. It's opening next week, so I missed out. :(