Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WIP List (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wip-list-t18638.html)

GailG 04-09-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
We have another cabinet that used to belong to my grandmother that has her wedding dinner set in it, and my mother's china set, and a few special bits and pieces. I'm eyeing it up for fabric storage now! LOL

We have my grandmother's oak armoire filled with books. It's in my sewing room. I would love to fill it with fabric. Would the old wood affect the fabric? I have noticed a few dark stains on things that I've stored in my cedar chest.

k3n 04-09-2009 10:20 AM

Mistrel - that's exactly wht I have so many WIPs - if I feel like quilting, I quilt, piecing, I piece, appliqué, I appliqué etc. That's my excuse, anyway and I'm sticking to it LOL!

Gail, can't help you with the wood question but I thought cedar was traditionally used for hope chests because it's the best thing to store fabric in? But I have no experience, hopefully someone else will jump in to advise you.

K x

JoanneS 04-09-2009 10:35 AM

Just to be safe, fabric shouldn't be stored directly ON wood. It needs a barrier. With regular shelves, paint works. In fine furniture, you can use non-adhesive shelf paper, preferably acid-free OR a thick layer of muslin - that's what I would do - cheaper and less trouble than acid-free paper to find - and you can use the muslin for practice - won't care if it's stained.

minstrel 04-09-2009 11:08 AM

K3n...but do you ever feel like basting? I don't! :wink:

k3n 04-09-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by minstrel

Ah now, I used to hate, loathe and detest that part! Hand basting on my hands and knees yeuchhhh. But then I got a basting gun - now I just pin on the floor and baste on the dining table. The other day I did a lap quilt and a bed quilt in about an hour! And I must say I love using the gun - I probably put in far more tacks than I need because it's such fun! It's fun taking them out as well, I got one of those special little gadgets that pings them across the room! :D

The other good thing about basting is it's the ONLY time the living room (wood) floor gets a wash! :D

K x

JoanneS 04-09-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by minstrel

Ah now, I used to hate, loathe and detest that part! Hand basting on my hands and knees yeuchhhh. But then I got a basting gun - now I just pin on the floor and baste on the dining table. The other day I did a lap quilt and a bed quilt in about an hour! And I must say I love using the gun - I probably put in far more tacks than I need because it's such fun! It's fun taking them out as well, I got one of those special little gadgets that pings them across the room! :D

The other good thing about basting is it's the ONLY time the living room (wood) floor gets a wash! :D

K x

You should try spray basting. I basted a lap quilt in less than 15 minutes. Just for safety, I pin eges in about 3 places. Lots of others on this board swear by it, too.

GailG 04-09-2009 05:34 PM

Thanks for the responses. I like the muslin idea. And then there's that 'ugly' fabric. :lol:

About the little plastic thingies for basting with the gun. I used a large nail clipper to remove them. Just be careful not to clip the fabric.

butterflywing 04-09-2009 10:02 PM

i think old traveling trunks were lined with pretty papers to keep clothing from actually touching the wood. also, hat boxes were made of wood and they were lined with paper.

i know that pine gives off a kind of tar or sap that stains and cedar has an oil that stains. i don't know about other woods.

k3n 04-10-2009 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
Thanks for the responses. I like the muslin idea. And then there's that 'ugly' fabric. :lol:

About the little plastic thingies for basting with the gun. I used a large nail clipper to remove them. Just be careful not to clip the fabric.

The thing I bought was only a couple of pounds. It is a kind of hook shaped thing with a handle that you slide under the tack and it's so sharp it just kind of pops it off. http://www.ladysewandsew.com/v2/prod...roducts_id=424

I tried spray baste a few years ago but as I hand quilt, it shifted like crazy so I've been afraid to try it again.

K x

sidmona 04-10-2009 05:25 AM

I have 5 quilt tops waiting to be sandwiched and quilted (2 I still need backings for) and I have to asian quilts in progress. I'm waiting for the fabric to arrive.