Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wonderful news!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wonderful-news-t189231.html)

Ruth Malia 05-17-2012 04:24 AM

Wonderful news!!!

I just found out that the Wal-Mart in my area (Portland, Texas) is making thier fabric department BIGGER with more fabric choices and more stuff... Spoke with a friend that works there and the "Grand opening is Aug. 10th!!! So VERY HAPPY!!!!!

LynnVT 05-17-2012 04:31 AM

For a while they were saying they were going to eliminate fabric by the yard and just have pre-cuts in some stores. Guess we are a power to reckon with! Quilters win again! Granted it's not always the best fabric around, but the prices are good, so it depends on your purpose. My 4 local fab shops are all doing well, so I'm not worried about the competition, though they have to go with increased prices as their costs go up. Still going to use them as much as I can, though. I NEED them there! We are more than 20-40 miles inany direction from a Wally or JoAnn.

joyce888 05-17-2012 04:31 AM

That is good news but if you have a Hobby Lobby close by check them before you buy. Some of the fabric that my WalMart is selling is the same fabric as Hobby Lobby, same price, but Hobby Lobby always has there's on sale 30% off.

Ruth Malia 05-17-2012 04:34 AM

I occassionally sew things other than quilts - like dolls and their dresses and the like, so Wal-mart fabric is ok for that. My nearest JoAnns and Hancock's are about 30 or more minutes way, with traffic, so for the quilting fabric I go there. But since I have a "thing" for fabric...it's nice to go local to play with the fabric - LOL.

Buckeye Rose 05-17-2012 04:50 AM

It appears that there are quite a few WalMarts that are resetting their craft departments. Mine starts next week and I am excited. I was told there are several bins full of bolts of new fabrics, most better quality. I have seen a big improvement in the quality of quilting fabrics in the past few months and it makes shopping there even more appealing. Yes, you can still find the cheap, thin stuff....but I can find that everywhere. And the prices for the good stuff at WalMart have gone up too....some as much as $8. But WalMart is 4 miles from the house, and JoAnn's or HobbyLobby are 40 miles, so driving the 40 miles will only happen if I can't find what I need close to home. Good Job WalMart!

Sunnye 05-17-2012 04:56 AM

I still cannot find fabric at WalMart in Louisville, KY! Haven't for years. We do have a Hobby Lobby; guess I'll check them out when I'm near them sometime, which isn't often.

BeverlyH 05-17-2012 05:33 AM

Be sure to write Walmart and say thank you! I certainly did when they took ours out and when they put it back in.

Pat625 05-17-2012 05:59 AM

Mine too!! And more quilting notions. An entire aisle is labeled for quilting fabric too!! THe quality is determined by the dpet manager who orders by store and my WallyWorld has great new stuff!! The idea of a thank you is good too,...

busy grandma 05-18-2012 05:38 PM

Haven't gotten in to "feel the goods", but the WalMart at Alva OK must be on the top of someones list. They have added bunches of new fabric....I can hardly wait until I can go back and check it out. I'll need more than the 15 min I had when I ran through last Sunday.

Suzan88 05-19-2012 03:15 AM

when cheap proves to be expensive

When I had just started quilting and didn't know better I celebrated finding batting at $10 at Walmart. Then I used it in a couple of bags and found that it bearded horribly so that was money, time, effort and fabric wasted. Maybe their fabric is better value but beware their batting.