Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Woo Hoo ! Hobby Lobby ! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/woo-hoo-hobby-lobby-t141844.html)

Honeynga 08-01-2011 08:53 AM

Went to local HL this a.m. to "look" and just see what they have. I haven't bought much from there because the prices always seen high; although with their sale I was able to buy several pieces. Am interested in finding a veggie/fruit/food fabric to make one of my girl's a quilt for Christmas.She works part time at Trader Joe's and I happen to have some old worn out work shirts of hers that I was thinking about incorporating into the back. HL had several choices for me in great colors; bought some from each bolt plus a coordinating solid color, OF COURSE, everything I bought was on sale. As the very nice lady was cutting my fabric she mentioned something about quilts and I said that I'm brand new at this and will be making ANOTHER top...since I haven't had any of my others quilted. She casually mentioned that she has a long arm quilter at home.......OH MY GOSH, THOUGHT I HAD MET AN ANGEL IN MY MIDST ! I asked her how to get in touch with her and she said she would give me a card. I told her that I would contact her about quilting one of my tops.....only if she didn't critique what I had done because I'm so new at this....she said she would just quilt it !

My LQS will do the quilting but I've been in there before when they were quilting a top and they verbally tore it to shreds re the choice of colors, workmanship, etc.....and I don't want to be their subject matter!

I took lessons at same LQS and wasn't pleased at all, they were rude, talked down to me and were only interested in selling me stuff....I was up front when I registered that although I know how to sew but nothing about quilting. The only constructive advice I got in class was when I did something wrong ! I didn't know how to properly use a rotary cutter, mat, color selections, coordinations, etc.

Not only has Hobby Lobby gained a new dedicated customer but hopefully have found a long arm quilter also !

PLUS, they will be taking applications for part time folks and I plan to apply...got to pay for my addiction somehow !

blueangel 08-01-2011 08:56 AM

Good for you

mom-6 08-01-2011 08:59 AM

Sounds like a VERY productive trip you had!

marscrafter 08-01-2011 09:09 AM

That's awesome, glad to hear you found some good fabric and a good long arm quilter, both are like gold. LOL

valsma 08-01-2011 09:37 AM

You go girl. Note to business owners, it is easier to keep customers when you are sweet not sour.

Mariposa 08-01-2011 09:52 AM

Congrats on your finding fabrics, as well as a LAQ! :)

joyce blint 08-01-2011 11:00 AM

I'm hoping it works out for you. I had a similar experience at a Joann's. Was buying curtain fabric and commented how busy I was. The gal cutting it says "Store policy forbids me from telling you this....but I can whip those out for you tonite for $10." That was over a week ago and they're still not done. In fact she emailed me she's in Chicago.

Sewfine 08-01-2011 11:08 AM

I am so happy for you.

Stitchnripper 08-01-2011 11:11 AM

Well that sounds just nifty!!!!!

khurtdvm 08-01-2011 11:13 AM

That's great! Just make sure that you still see samples of her work first....