Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Wooden pressing bar" subsitute (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wooden-pressing-bar-subsitute-t237906.html)

Dina 01-01-2014 04:26 PM

"Wooden pressing bar" subsitute

2 Attachment(s)
I have just started making bargello quilts...I am on my third...and in two of the videos I watched, the quilter used a "wooden pressing bar" to flatten the seams before pressing them. I have been wishing I had this nifty tool and at the same time, I was too impatient to order one and wait for it, and too lazy to go to a LQS and look for one.

Well, just today I discovered that the handle of a toothbrush works pretty well. (I get a new tooth brush every 6 months from my dentist, and I can't seem to throw those away. Now I have another use for that old toothbrush....other than the occasional scrubbing when I am on a cleaning spree.)

Anyway, my son just took pictures of me using it, so I could share, in case this interests anyone else. It sure makes the actual ironing of the seam easier. I also took a picture of where I am on this bargello (small bargello), so you can see what I am working on.

Give it a try. I am pretty pleased with my toothbrush tool. :)

Dina

KLO 01-01-2014 04:33 PM

Your bargello quilt is going to be gorgeous when it is finished!!! And I love re-purposing household items so thanks for this tip. Much more fun to use an old toothbrush this way than scrubbing the bathroom grout!

Stitchnripper 01-01-2014 05:17 PM

Gorgeous quilt in progress. Nice use of old toothbrush! I have plenty of those too. Please post photo of your quilt when it is done so we can "oooo" and "ahhhh" over it!

Dina 01-01-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6486802)
Your bargello quilt is going to be gorgeous when it is finished!!! And I love re-purposing household items so thanks for this tip. Much more fun to use an old toothbrush this way than scrubbing the bathroom grout!

Yes, I agree. I would really rather use my old toothbrush for this than for scrubbing the bathroom grout. I hate to do that!! And I am rather fond of quilting. :)

Dina

nativetexan 01-01-2014 06:01 PM

Ah yes, that would work great. love your work so far!! Quilters also use their credit cards in their sewing rooms. not to buy either!

Jackie Spencer 01-01-2014 06:32 PM

Wow!! Beautiful Beautiful bargello! I bought a little wooden ironing tool from EB web site. I love it! Use it when I PP too. I think I only paid 5 o6 dollars for it. Nifty little tool!

DogHouseMom 01-01-2014 06:58 PM

Love the colors in your bargello. Good eye!

Gramie bj 01-01-2014 08:06 PM

I use 1/2 of a flat cloths pin. Sees like I have a couple of broke pins every time I hang laundry on the line. LOL

Dina 01-01-2014 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 6487209)
I use 1/2 of a flat cloths pin. Sees like I have a couple of broke pins every time I hang laundry on the line. LOL

Now why didn't I think of that! I break clothes pins all the time!!

Dina

mighty 01-02-2014 07:53 AM

Great idea, beautiful Bargello.