Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wool Batting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wool-batting-question-t310003.html)

FWLover 03-03-2020 02:08 PM

Wool Batting Question

We have a client who is sending a quilt to be used by a relative in California. I know my daughter in San Jose has been happy with Quilter’s Dream “Dream Orient” batting even in the summer. But would like to use their wool batting on this quilt. Would it be too warm in the summer in CA? Or does the wool breathe well enough to make it ok.

pocoellie 03-03-2020 02:50 PM

I don't know a lot about wool batting, but as far as warmth, I think I would ask the person, are they "cold blooded" or not. Also, do they live in CA? There are plenty of places in CA that get cold weather, it's not all warm and sunshine.

tallchick 03-03-2020 04:10 PM

Wool batting is the most versatile of the batting IMHO, it keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer. It’s natural fibers allows the body to breath and self regulate, at least for me anyway. I’m sure others with far more technical knowledge and experience will be able to give you more info.

Peckish 03-03-2020 04:21 PM

I actually think QD wool is probably the best choice for that situation.

quiltingshorttimer 03-03-2020 05:18 PM

wool is wonderful IMHO. It breathes wonderfully so keeps you warm or cool--depending on weather. It drapes beautifully and it quilts like butter--either machine or hand. I especially like the extra "poof" that it leaves with quilting. Just a dream. I try to use it on as many of my own projects as I can possibly afford. Any quilt that needs lots of texture and will be heavily counted will be done with an 80/20 on bottom and wool on top. Go for it!

ckcowl 03-05-2020 12:47 PM

My summer quilt has wool batting. It is one of our favorite quilts and perfect for the summer. The great thing about wool is it’s an ( all seasons) fiber. Light weight and breaths.

quiltingcandy 03-05-2020 12:58 PM

I live near San Diego - and have gone to using wool batting and it does breath wonderfully. My daughters will get under quilts when it's 80 degrees outside and I have a fan on. (We don't have air conditioning.) So they are used to the 50/50 because that is what I used a lot of before I found the wonders of wool.

maviskw 03-05-2020 08:32 PM

I have made one quilt with a wool batt and it is wonderful. Wonderful to work with and the quilt is very light weight. I mean in pounds. It is nice and fluffy.

d.rickman 03-06-2020 06:24 AM

I had 13 sheep shorn, and have made 4 quilts using the sheep fleece for friends whom are going through cancer treatments, they all have responded favourably, telling me how comfortable their quilts are in all the changes in our cold and hot weather....we keep one in the RV, and it really does breath well in both hot and cold extremes.

FWLover 03-06-2020 08:30 PM

Thank you for all the input. We will use the wool in our clients quilt. On top of all the other benefits, it’s light weight will reduce her shipping costs!