Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   wool batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wool-batting-t287570.html)

Wonnie 04-16-2017 04:24 PM

wool batting

Is wool batting preshrunk??? What happens if you don't prewash your fabric and use wool batting?.........thanks!

Prism99 04-16-2017 05:37 PM

It depends on the brand. Hobbs wool and Quilter's Dream wool are preshrunk and treated so that you do not have to worry about batting shrinkage or bearding. Off-brands can act very differently. I'm not sure about QD batting, but Hobbs wool batting will shrink about 3% -- which is typical for most cotton battings too.

Not prewashing your fabric doesn't matter. What does matter is how much quilting you do. If you do a reasonable amount of quilting with lines no more than 3" or 4" apart, the fabric and batting are bonded together sufficiently that the batting will take control of shrinkage. If your quilting lines are far apart, say 10", then a fabric with an inclination to shrink more than 5% or more will be able to do that. When the fabric and batting are quilted reasonably well, they shrink together. Since the batting has more heft than the fabric, the batting ends up controlling how much everything shrinks.

Edit: If you want no shrinkage at all, use polyester batting. Polyester batting does not shrink.

CanoePam 04-16-2017 05:54 PM

I never prewash my fabrics, and I have no problem with wool batting. It wrinkles up a bit, but I think it just makes it cushy. I like soft quilts, so I generally quilt 2-3 inches apart.

Pam

Peckish 04-16-2017 09:25 PM

I used Quilter's Dream Wool on the quilt that's on my bed. It barely shrank at all, just enough to get a wee bit crinkly. I didn't prewash anything - batting, backing, or top fabrics.

117becca 04-17-2017 02:29 AM

i love wool batting - when i washed the quilt that i used wool batting, there is minimal shrinkage. The quilt is crinkly looking and i love that look. I also love the dimension that the quilting has.

ckcowl 04-17-2017 03:37 AM

I've used wool battings for many quilts, it's my favorite batting. Dream wool and Hobbs wool are the two I use. I've made quilts with prewashed fabrics, not prewashed fabrics and some prewashed some not in the same quilt. Every one has turned out great. Those wool battings do not shrink like cotton batting does. It is lightweight, lofty and wonderful to work with. Each time I launder one of those quilts it comes out of the dryer soft, lofty, huggable, wonderful.

Wonnie 04-17-2017 07:13 AM

Thank you all for your quick responses! I hand quilt and usually at least every 4" so evidently a wool batting is doable.

soccertxi 04-18-2017 06:06 AM

and hand quilting or machine quilting, it quilts like BUTTAH! I have only used wool twice, but it was heavenly to quilt!

AZ Jane 04-18-2017 06:41 AM

For hand quilting wool batting is a dream. I pre-wash my fabric but not my wool batting. I like the old fashioned crinkled look. If you don't, I would advise pre-washing both.

Silver Needle 04-19-2017 11:19 PM

Quilters Dream Wool gets my vote.