Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A word to the wise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/word-wise-t223345.html)

mike'sgirl 06-09-2013 04:51 PM

A word to the wise

I am in the process of making a paper pieced block. I thought I was done, but when I went to put all the pieces together they didn't fit. When I had initially printed out the pattern from Quilter's Cache, I did check the test square on one page of pieces. I didn't check the rest of the pages, thinking they were all printing out the correct size. So half of my block is too small and I have to redo it. I do have enough fabric thankfully, but I am a bit aggravated, cause I thought I was ready to sew it together. Now I'm too tired to finish it tonight, so it will have to wait.
Take it from an expert, check your measurements! Gina

Emma S 06-09-2013 04:57 PM

Oh man. Been there done that. Trouble is I get enthusiastic take off running without testing. It will all look better in the morning. Sorry about your frustration. Let us know how it goes.

bluteddi 06-09-2013 05:13 PM

I feel your pain.. been there look at the bright side... once u redo the blocks... u are already half way there ( or there abouts) to a another quilt!! ...... sigh... sorry

Lara122 06-09-2013 05:25 PM

oh, bless your heart! How frustrating --

If it were me, I would be angrier at myself that I had tested at all. To have thought to have done it, and it still not be right!! ugh . .

good for you for leaving it . .

it will seem easier in the morning!

Lara122 06-09-2013 05:32 PM

oh, bless your heart! How frustrating --

If it were me, I would be angrier at myself that I had tested at all. To have thought to have done it, and it still not be right!! ugh . .

good for you for leaving it . .

it will seem easier in the morning!

DebraK 06-09-2013 05:50 PM

bummer! Now do another one right, and another one wrong, and you will have two blocks ;-)
Put one block on a tote or something. Shame to let that good work go to waste.

I actually caught myself before this happened the other day. So easy to do.

Susan Sanders 06-10-2013 03:09 AM

This has happened to me also! After I decided the pattern was 2 different sizes I had to reprint the pattern several times until I got the correct size for all pattern pieces. Why are things so difficult when they could be soooo easy?

DogHouseMom 06-10-2013 03:44 AM

I've had that problem with QC PP patterns - especially when combining PP parts to pieced blocks. Even though the 1" line is 1" ... the pattern is not the end size. I've even printed them and cut them out and put the paper only together ... and it's not the right size. I've stopped using QC PP blocks, but if I like one I see I re-create it in EQ7 and print it from there.

BellaBoo 06-10-2013 04:43 AM

I import the paper piecing block to EQ7 and resize it to be exactly what I want it to be. It always prints out the correct size in EQ. I have had too many online pp patterns print the wrong size from what they should be, wasting time and ink.

Weezy Rider 06-10-2013 05:49 AM

Some sites do have a 1" scale so you can check printer. My laser was 1/16 short, one inkjet was spot on.

Didn't discover until i measured with a decent ruler and messed up one block.