Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Workarounds for Arthritis in Left Thumb?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/workarounds-arthritis-left-thumb-t193584.html)

WesternWilson 07-04-2012 08:07 AM

Workarounds for Arthritis in Left Thumb??

I have just been diagnosed with arthritis in my left thumb joints. Dang, was actually hoping it was fractured instead! Anyway, while we will medicate etc., are there workarounds for the tasks that bother my thumb, which are folding fabric/sheets, and hand sewing (as in binding etc.) where the left fingers and thumb anchor the work? The pinch grip thing is hard for me right now.

I figure this must be a common problem, so any tips or tricks for workarounds much appreciated.

Regards,
Janet

TanyaL 07-04-2012 08:10 AM

I frequently have to grip with my second finger and my middle finger. I use my hand as if my thumb had been cut off.

jlm5419 07-04-2012 08:20 AM

I have the same issue with both my thumbs, but the left is the worst. When I mentioned it to my dr, his only comment was that is the most common location for osteoarthritis. I will be watching for tips myself. :)

Rosyhf 07-04-2012 08:28 AM

How about if you wrap or splint the thump and this way it is still usuable and wouldn't cause pain....

crafty pat 07-04-2012 08:39 AM

I don't know if this works for osteo. as I have RA. I have it in my right thumb that gives me fits and as I am right handed I had a hard time doing anything. My Dr. started giving me injections in the joint and that gave me back the use of my hand. I had about four in a year and after the last one about five years ago I have done so well I have not had to have anymore.

QuiltnNan 07-04-2012 08:52 AM

here's an item called Helping Hands
http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase-pla&hft_adv=40010&mr:trackingCode=02670F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA&mkwid={ifsearch:s}{i fcontent:c}negiMtbp&mr:trackingCode=A5670F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&mr:adType =pla&gclid=CL3P3vq8gLECFdPTKgod2nayMA

the site also says that it may be available in Harbor Freight stores
the price sure looks right
[not sure why it didn't work as a cllickable link]

quilterlois 07-04-2012 09:04 AM

When my thumb is acting up, I use a bowlers thumb glove. It works as a braes for the thumb joint. It really works well for me. They are available at any bowling ally and come in left or right hand. Good luck

Maggie_Sue 07-04-2012 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 5338293)
I don't know if this works for osteo. as I have RA. I have it in my right thumb that gives me fits and as I am right handed I had a hard time doing anything. My Dr. started giving me injections in the joint and that gave me back the use of my hand. I had about four in a year and after the last one about five years ago I have done so well I have not had to have anymore.

I have osteo in both of my thumbs my right is worse than my left, after two injections about 6 months apart, have not had to have another, and that was about 4 years ago, it is not perfect but will allow me to do what I want.

AliKat 07-05-2012 09:08 AM

I guess that is why I do my bindings almost all by machine! I did a tute on how I do it.

I sew the binding on the back, iron it over with school glue, then sew it on the front using a 'pretty stitch' on the front.

Though I will be trying those little red clips in the future and try hand sewing again.

ali

WesternWilson 07-05-2012 09:20 AM

I will check out that link!

AliKat I have the pretty little red clips..they are IMHO no better than the little oval hair clips for binding at least and the red clips mean...you guessed it!...you need a pain free thumb to pinch them! I did fine with my fingers after forgetting a couple of times and getting a message from that thumb!