Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It Worked!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worked-t250570.html)

DonnaFreak 07-22-2014 11:09 AM

It Worked!!!

Howdy y'all :)

A few months ago I bought one of those mats that is supposed to keep your foot pedal from sliding around. It has spikes on the bottom to make it grip the carpet so it won't slide. And of course, I have hardwood floors so it even though the pedal itself didn't slide, the mat did! So last night I was in the Dollar Tree looking for cute little containers to help organize my sewing room, and of course had to go up and down every aisle looking for goodies. LOL! Lo and behold, I found a package of non-slip rug backing! it was approximately 14" X 24", which was MORE than enough to put on the bottom of my non-skid, skidding mat. And it worked!!! I'm thinking now that I can just put a piece of it under the pedals on all of my machines without using the mat at all. For a buck, I think I got a bargain! :)

Donna

tessagin 07-22-2014 11:14 AM

That is what I use for my pedals. Another use is to grip jars that are hard to open. I have a piece in one of my kitchen drawers for that very thing.

klgls 07-22-2014 11:17 AM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

crafty pat 07-22-2014 11:20 AM

Great find. You can find so many useful things at dollar stores. Love looking through them.

QuiltnNan 07-22-2014 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6812788)
...Another use is to grip jars that are hard to open. I have a piece in one of my kitchen drawers for that very thing.

never thought of that one... great tip, too

QuiltnNan 07-22-2014 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak (Post 6812778)
Howdy y'all :)

A few months ago I bought one of those mats that is supposed to keep your foot pedal from sliding around. It has spikes on the bottom to make it grip the carpet so it won't slide. And of course, I have hardwood floors so it even though the pedal itself didn't slide, the mat did! So last night I was in the Dollar Tree looking for cute little containers to help organize my sewing room, and of course had to go up and down every aisle looking for goodies. LOL! Lo and behold, I found a package of non-slip rug backing! it was approximately 14" X 24", which was MORE than enough to put on the bottom of my non-skid, skidding mat. And it worked!!! I'm thinking now that I can just put a piece of it under the pedals on all of my machines without using the mat at all. For a buck, I think I got a bargain! :)

Donna

great tip thanks!!

lalaland 07-22-2014 08:07 PM

What also works is the shelf "paper" they sell at the dollar star that's rubberized feeling. It comes in a roll. I cut a piece off the roll and put it under all my machines - it keeps them from wobbling around. I also put a piece under my foot pedal holder to keep it from sliding around. If you have a machine with a clutch that has to be turned to disengage it in order to wind a bobbin, a piece gives you a solid grip when you're trying to disengage (a rubber band around the clutch wheel works good too).

I also use it under my cutting boards to keep them from sliding around, and anything else that I need to stabilize.

It's so cheap that when it gets really dirty or discolored, just toss it and cut a new piece.

rebeljane 07-22-2014 10:17 PM

I also use it to put between my frypans that I stack on each other in the cupboard, stops scratching them

ManiacQuilter2 07-23-2014 03:39 AM

I need to get myself to the Dollar store too!!

nanna-up-north 07-23-2014 05:00 AM

Great suggestions, everyone. Fantastic.