Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Working with corduroy. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/working-corduroy-t230917.html)

asabrinao 09-23-2013 02:57 PM

Working with corduroy.

Hi, All,

This weekend I finished a lap size quilt top made from corduroy (the wale is relatively narrow). Now I have some decisions to make! Has anyone quilted with corduroy before? Here are my two main questions:

1) When I first started this top, I read somewhere that it's common not to put anything between corduroy layers, as it's already pretty heavy. I understand the rationale, but I just feel a quilt has to have something in the middle, be it a swatch of flannel or some lightweight batting. Any suggestions? I'm leaning more toward batting, but not sure what kind to use. I don't mind the quilt being heavy, but I don't want it puffy.

2) Tie off or quilt?

Thanks all!

mom-6 09-23-2013 03:26 PM

The one I made was varying colors and wale widths of 8" corduroy squares front and back. It was very heavy (but incredibly snuggly) and I did not add anything in between. Depending on how warm and how heavy you want it you could use flannel, fleece or batting.
For ease of dealing with it, and as a stabilizing measure, I just tied at the intersections of the squares with variegated ribbon.
Please do be sure to use wider than usual seams!
Don't think I have a picture of it, but if I find one I will post it.

dunster 09-23-2013 03:33 PM

I've never made an entire quilt from corduroy, but I frequently mix it with flannel in rag quilts. I make them with 3 layers, the inside layer being flannel.

asabrinao 09-23-2013 04:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I used 1/4" seams for piecing my bear claw patches (they're patched by hand with a double running stitch) and used 1/2" seams to build the quilt top and attach the borders. Flannel seems to be winning the race right now! Did you all just use a single sheet of flannel? How many times did you pre-wash it? Thanks

AngeliaNR 09-23-2013 04:30 PM

I've been saving corduroy for a while to do this. I hadn't thought about the batting, but I figured the only possible way to put it together was by tying it--it would be so thick to quilt.

yngldy 09-23-2013 04:45 PM

I used the fine wale for the sashing and border. I think I used warm and natural, or Hobbs as the batting, flannel back, and quilted as usual. Didn't notice it being that heavy.

asabrinao 09-23-2013 04:55 PM

I have a cord front and back, both pieced (bear claws in two colors). Yngldy: what kind of Hobbs did you use?

nativetexan 09-23-2013 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a rag quilt with corduroy squares (the red print) and cotton (green) ones. didn't put batting but did a large X on all of them plus a swirl stitching design. if you do add batting, cut it smaller so it won't be in the seams and do some sort of stitching design to hold in place .

BETTY62 09-23-2013 06:14 PM

I'm with you as I would put something between the layers and I would tie it off rather than try to qult it.

pocoellie 09-23-2013 06:32 PM

I've made a corduroy quilt about 3 years ago, backed with flannel, nothing in between and I tied it.