Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Working with Flannels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/working-flannels-t17218.html)

alimaui 03-04-2009 01:32 PM

I am trying to plan out a baby quilt for an expecting friend, and picked up some cute flannel prints. I have a few questions, hopefully you ladies can share your wisdom with me.

1. Pre wash vs. no pre Wash, I know normally its an all or nothing king of thing. Either I should prewash all the fabrics or not prewash. Is flannel any different? I got some beautiful blue, but am slightly concerned it will bleed, but then am worried about shrinkage...(I didn't think about this at the store, and didnt' get extra).

2. Shrinkage, how much does flannel generally shrink, and do the edges fray like other fabrics?

3. Children's Sleepwear flannel. I saw the signs at Joann's that say not safe for childrens sleepwear. All the flannel I bought was from the snuggle flannel section and doesn't say anything about childrens sleepwear. Obviously I want the little bambino to be safe, but how do I know which flannels are safe?

Thanks in advance!

Justquilting 03-04-2009 01:49 PM

hi, i've worked with alot of flannels in quilts and i;ve even mixed it with cottons. i wash everything!! For baby quilts it has different textures

Jim's Gem 03-04-2009 02:21 PM

Yes, prewash!! I don't usually pre-wash my regular cottons but flannel shrinks more and at different rates

Knot Sew 03-04-2009 02:34 PM

yep wash that blue needs checking :D

mpspeedy 03-04-2009 03:11 PM

They call it snuggle flannel and then say it is not recommended for children's wear. DUH! I asked in JoANns because they have this flame retradant flannel but it also is not guaranteed to be completely non flamable. I do remember years ago there was a story about a little boy who was badly burned when his PJs caught fire because they were made of a blend and they melted on his body. Any cotton fabric will burn. In fact on the quilt shows they tell you to light a small scrap with a match to see if it is a natural fiber. Natural fibers will turn to ash while poly etc. will melt.
To be safe tell the parent that cotton flannel should not be worn around open flames. Hopefully by the time they are a parent they have that much common sense.

Marcia 03-04-2009 05:00 PM

I don't usually prewash, but if you are worried about a fabric possibly bleeding, then definitely wash them all. Flannel does ravel and shrink pretty bad. I always zig-zag (or serge if you have a machine) the raw edges before I throw them in the washer. Saves a lot of time later untangling the fabric and cutting all the threads off!!

And throw a Shout Color Catcher in the washer with the fabrics.

littlehud 03-04-2009 07:12 PM

I I think I would wash it. When mixing fabrics better to be safe than sorry.

Joan 03-04-2009 08:58 PM

Flannel shrinks!!!! When I use flannel, I prewash it a couple of times. It also frays more than regular quilting fabric.

(I've often wondered if the expensive flannel we see in the LQS shrinks, and frays??????)

p.s.---if wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in a Color Catcher to make sure the color doesn't run.

I made a flannel quilt for my grandbaby and he loves the way it feels!

nancykaye 03-08-2009 04:40 PM

we have 3 bostons and i just wanted to say hi

nancykaye 03-08-2009 04:41 PM

we have 3 bostons and i just wanted to say hi