Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Working with Fleece? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/working-fleece-t16317.html)

Quilting G 02-07-2009 02:29 PM

Ok I intended to make a backing with flannel and they did not have the colors I wanted and I ended up getting Fleece. Has anyone used Fleece to make a pieced backing? My plan was to make a four block with borders for the backing of a lap quilt. Know that I have it home I am wondering if the seams will make the quilt vary lumpy? How much will it shrink? Should I prewash on hot and dry on hot so it will shrink as much as possible? I read some where to starch if heavily.

All comments are welcome.

Thanks!
G

quiltwoman 02-07-2009 02:34 PM

I used it years ago to back an x-mas tree skirt and it sewed beautifully. I have also used leftover Wal-mart bargain bin scraps of fleece to back quilts for my cats--again, I had no problems. I did smaller pieces--I know others have reported working with fleece being a nightmare--I did not have this problem... perhaps size is a factor?? What does everyone else think?

pocoellie 02-07-2009 03:19 PM

Using fleece will be very difficult, because it's very stretchy. If you still want to use it, I would cut it into blocks and make sort of a rag style on the back. Just my opinion.

Prism99 02-07-2009 04:07 PM

When I have worked with fleece, I have always machine washed it and dried it on hot first. Fleece can shrink a *lot* -- much more than regular fabric or even cotton batting -- so I think it's a good idea to do this.

I also starched my fleece heavily. It makes it much easier to piece accurately. For a backing, heavy starching ensures that it will not bunch up or stretch out of shape while you are quilting. After washing and drying the fleece, I starched it with a 50/50 solution of Sta-Flo and water and threw it back into the dryer. I ironed it with steam before cutting.

With fleece it's a good idea to make 1/2-inch seams rather than 1/4-inch seams. Especially for a backing, this will ensure that the seams don't pull apart with heavy use.

Also make sure to check and clean out the bobbin area of your machine frequently when sewing fleece. Fleece creates more lint than regular quilting cottons.

Quilting G 02-07-2009 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone...
The only concern I have left is that it is going to be a patchwork backing...

Do you think that the seams will be bumpy due to the thickness?

G

Prism99 02-07-2009 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting G
Thanks everyone...
The only concern I have left is that it is going to be a patchwork Do you think that the seams will be bumpy due to the thickness?

G

I don't think so, especially if you press the seams open. I know that sounds like heresy, but machine stitching is strong enough to hold up to seams being pressed open. When all the seaming was done by hand, seams were folded to one side to strengthen the seam. That isn't necessary today with machine stitching. However, many machine piecers still press to the side because pieces go together more easily that way.

For the type of backing you are describing, I would sew 1/2-inch seams and press them all open so you don't have any big lumps to quilt over later.

grammo013 02-07-2009 11:31 PM

I use a lot of fleece for the back of quilts we send to the military. I do not wash and have never had one shrink. We can not do rag quilts so I use my foot the trims the seam as it sews it. you get a flat well done seam. Wish I could think of the name of the foot. It finishes the seam just like a sserger would.

They make really nice warm and cuddly quilts.

Linda

Bevanger 02-08-2009 06:13 AM

All my quilts have fleece backing, Its so warm & cuddly :D

littlehud 02-08-2009 02:10 PM

I find fleece stretches alot. You have to be really careful when quilting it.