Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Workshops & Quilting Classes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/workshops-quilting-classes-t276377.html)

Claire123 03-04-2016 05:21 PM

Workshops & Quilting Classes

On average, about how many workshops, classes or retreats do you participate in each year? These could be through a local quilt shop, your guild or even travelling out of state.
I'm trying to decide what's reasonable. It's so hard passing up what sounds like a really great opportunity.

mamagrande 03-04-2016 05:27 PM

Since I have retired and am on a fixed income, I can't participate like I used to. Before i used to go to 2 retreats, take about 3 classes and one bus trip to quilt shows here in California. Now I take maybe 1 class and one bus trip. I haven't been to a retreat for 3 years and saving to be able to go in the fall.

QuiltingVagabond 03-04-2016 05:51 PM

Claire, where in Indiana are you? I am attending 2 workshops this weekend and a retreat next weekend. This is the first time I have done anything like this, so I am hoping to enjoy the experience and meet lots of new quilty friends!

Dolphyngyrl 03-04-2016 07:34 PM

2 on average, unless you include online

quiltingshorttimer 03-04-2016 07:35 PM

I go to my Guild's retreats 2 times a year--very reasonable price. Most of my classes are through my Guild and the cost is minimal--usually just the price of a pattern or less than $35. I usually also take 1-2 classes on the long arm, which means a bigger show and costs more. I retired 3 years ago so have the time, but need to watch the expenses too.

sewbizgirl 03-04-2016 08:53 PM

I have yet to go to any... I always thought it would be fun, but after reading all the negative experiences posted on this site, I'm not so sure. I do enjoy quilting alone at home and can usually accomplish most any pattern or technique I want to try. So why go away to a retreat or class and pay out money I could have spent on fabric?

patski 03-04-2016 09:25 PM

I go to one retreat a year but am considering a second one. It is so much fun being with a group of women all who love quilting and are fun to be with. I learn some new trick every year. I don't usually take classes since I work but do enjoy learning new things. I'm just starting to learn paper piecing

DOTTYMO 03-04-2016 10:45 PM

I use to go to one retreat and a few monthly classes. Now a days I stay at home go to. One weekly class when I can. I do follow utubes and crafty classes. No idea why I've stopped going it hadn't noticed until I read this post.

rryder 03-05-2016 10:05 AM

I've never been on an in person retreat, and the only workshops I've ever taken were 2 on making tuffets, but my money and time budgets don't leave much room for doing retreats, classes at my LQS (which are very expensive) and workshops. I have taken Craftsy classes since I can do those on my own time and they tend to have frequent sales on their classes so they don't break my budget.

Rob

ManiacQuilter2 03-05-2016 10:05 AM

I was never one to take too many class. I picked to only take classes from prominent quilters. I don't drive any more so it is difficult to get around. U-tube videos have become my instructions that I need to add to my quilting skills.