Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   worn to the bones (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worn-bones-t95192.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 01-30-2011 10:20 AM

I really love that "loved to death" look! My oldest son presented me with a quilt I made him years ago asking if I can fix it.
Turns out the muslin is the only fabric that's shot. But there's a lot of it..........sigh...... :D

huntannette 01-30-2011 10:22 AM

ahh i love the idea of her keeping it forever....that si so sweet

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My youngest son has one that is basically a rag. It has been patched, darned anything I could do to hold it together. He is now 15, so he doesn't sleep with it anymore, but it lives in a drawer in his room and he has no intentions of parting with it.

Do whatever you can to fix it. She will love it, but I doubt you can make her a new one. New ones never seem to work.

featherweight 01-30-2011 11:13 AM

Nothing better than to see a quilt Grandma made that is worn like this one is. My nephew had a quilt and when he had to give it up it was about 2 inches wide and about 3 feet long.. No kidding, it was litterally a piece of fabric.

katier825 01-30-2011 01:44 PM

It's great that it is so well loved, it can be repaired to be loved even more.

KarenBarnes 01-30-2011 05:11 PM

It reminds me of many of many of the quilts that my kids have worn out. I made a scrappy quilt for my youngest for Christmas and told him to toss the old one. It was not repairable anymore, as I had done so at least a dozen times! At first he didn't want to but finally did! Let's hope the new one holds up as long as the last one!

np3 01-30-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette
sure is...lol this one won`t make it as a heirloom hahaha!!!!

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
Isn't it nice to have our quilts loved to death!!!

It already is!

OmaForFour 01-31-2011 05:04 AM

If you use a simple pattern you could do stitch in the ditch on the machine and not be too stressed by it.

lillybeck 01-31-2011 07:30 AM

I just repaired on last summer that looked worse than that and the other one my GD has is beyond repair. I love that she has used them up so I made her a new one.

dixiechunk 01-31-2011 08:47 AM

The quilt is a beauty and I am impressed that you hand-quilted a batik quilt. Yikes! Maybe DGD is getting to the age where she can enjoy it displayed as oposed to using it. I made a machine appliqued turtle quilt for my sister's first grandson. A couple of the turtles are coming undone (I thought a machine blanket stitch would be practically indestructible!) but the binding (which was hand sewn) is fine. The quilt hasn't been abused, just used, and I am almost proud that it is so well-worn. Odd, huh?

Billie G 01-31-2011 09:17 AM

I am sitting here chuckling. My DD has a small (recieving size) blanky that her fathers mother made for her when she was born almost 46 yrs ago.
It has been patched, the original used as stuffing for the new one,(Now that was a battle. "I want my OLD blanky")and she still has it in a dresser drawer. When she is reallly sick, run down- she gets that old thing out & snuggles right up to it. It is made of flannel & still brings her comfort.
She is going thru a divorce right now, & I noticed it on her bed the other day. It is still working it's magic for her.
I made her a string quilt for Christmas last year, backed it with flannel, & she loves it. She told me yest. that when husband started packing his stuff, she got that quilt out of his stuff & told him "NO WAY that's MINE" LOL
Billie G
I hope that when it comes to replacing, or whatever you do, that is is a better transition than what I went thru many years ago.