Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Worst Advice... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-advice-t211438.html)

earthwalker 01-20-2013 10:42 PM

Worst advice: You always have to put patterned next to plain....

DOTTYMO 01-20-2013 11:54 PM

All advice I take with a large pinch of salt. Do I need to do it or not. I make my own mind up about comments and pick those that help me. The worst advice I have heard is teachers telling ladies how to cut or pin fabric and the ladies trying to say but my hands want do that. Arthritis is a problem as we get older and younger quilters fail to understand and give bad advice.

justflyingin 01-21-2013 12:05 AM

I think the one about poly thread "cutting" cotton fabric made my mouth drop open when I read it on the internet first. I laughed and went on.

cmierley 01-21-2013 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5798462)
Worst advice is that it MUST be done a certain way..I quilt for family, friends and fun...and as Sinatra says..I did it MY way!!

. I'm with you. It's to stressful other wise.

GailG 01-21-2013 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 5798179)
I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?

I think this advice meant not to "iron" the seams but to "press" them. Ironing can distort the block, especially if there are bias seams or edges.

I still cringe at some poor advice I gave to students in a beginning garment construction class. One astute student, followed my advice literally and could have ruined her garment. But the garment was much too big, so the seams had to be redone. In my inexperience of teaching others, I told them to "trim all INSIDE seams"
to 1/4 inch. Well that was the wrong choice of words. (After all, ALL seams are inside the garment.) We were attaching a facing to a neckline. The word I should have used was to "trim all ENCLOSED seams to 1/4 inch."

The person who advised not ironing may have just not elaborated and said that pressing was a better choice.

Tracy_Lit5 01-21-2013 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To me, the worst advise is what I see in magazines for "skill level". I've never taken a class...only done reading and researching and a LOT of trial and error. Some projects I've done were set for skill level of intermediate to advanced, but the project wasn't that hard. Here's one example that I made after only quilting for a few months.
The only time something is done 'wrong' is if you do it and you don't like what you created.

quiltmom04 01-21-2013 05:22 AM

Finish one project before you start another. If I did this, I might still be stuck on that first bad project. New advise: if you don't like something, get bored or stuck, put it away and move on. If you will NEVER like it, pass it on to someone else.

KyKaren1949 01-21-2013 06:17 AM

When I first began quilting, I went to a workshop at my local quilt shop that was being conducted by a Janome consultant. When I said I was working on my first quilt and it was a queen size, she laughed and then told the entire group that was something a beginner should never do: begin with a gigantic quilt. I was mortified. That quilt turned out just fine and I've made queen and king sized quilts over and over again since that day without having any problems. I didn't like her at all, and if she hadn't embarrassed and ticked me off, I probably wouldn't have continued quilting. She just made me that much more determined to do it and do it well. :)

Quilty-Louise 01-21-2013 06:36 AM

Pat - I 100% agree!!!

I have been quilting since Oct 2005, and it this has ALWAYS been my
sewing room motto:

It is MY money
It is MY fabric
It is MY project
It is MY time
It is MY way, not YOUR way

However if YOU want to be the person to PAY for everything then YOU
can tell me what and how to do things. Until then keep you opinions to
yourself UNLESS I ask for it.

(No I am NOT a nice person when it come to someone telling me I MUST
do something a certain way).

Originally Posted by Pat625 (Post 5798462)
Worst advice is that it MUST be done a certain way..I quilt for family, friends and fun...and as Sinatra says..I did it MY way!!

Judi in Ohio 01-21-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5800036)
Worst advice ever was "It doesn't matter if you prewash or not....just use a color catcher"....my quilt had bright red, white and black....the red ran and the color catcher didn't catch it all :( ...now all the white is a real pale pink....now I always prewash/dry and use retayne for bright colors....if you take out the fabrics before completely dry, you won't have many wrinkles

There's the problem - a color catcher - I use 5-8 depends on how big the quilt is. I've also heard that you can use muslin yardage and get the same results. I made a completely scrappy red/wh and had not an iota of color fading. BTW, try oxiclean to get the pink out of your white. I did have a piece of damp white sit next to a red and it colored, but the oxi took it right out.