Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   worst instructions ever (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-instructions-ever-t217751.html)

Loretta 03-31-2013 10:36 AM

I seem to do better by looking at the picture than the directions .

tessagin 03-31-2013 10:45 AM

I am perfectly imperfect and love leftovers. When I purchase fabric, I buy an extra half yard or just an extra yard. I bought a piece of fabric that was suppose to be 45 inches wide. Actually, had the clerk measure it and it was only 40, so I bought double. It can always be put to good use in another project.

carolynjo 03-31-2013 12:09 PM

Just because you can quilt doesn't mean you can write directions that are clear and easily understood! If I were writing directions, I would have someone write them for me and then try to follow my directions. I have been disappointed so many times with poorly written directions!

Mimiqwerty 03-31-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 5968082)
Just because you can quilt doesn't mean you can write directions that are clear and easily understood! If I were writing directions, I would have someone write them for me and then try to follow my directions. I have been disappointed so many times with poorly written directions!

I agree. I have a degree in English and Technical Writing, and when I teach friends, relatives, and others to quilt, I often find I need to include an errata sheet (rewrite the patterns) before I make up the supply list and teach the class. This has saved my bacon a number of times :p.

julie 03-31-2013 05:25 PM

I bought a tablerunner kit about 3 years ago, I've pulled it out a couple times and tried to make it, but the instructions are so confusing I end up putting it away again. I'm seriously considering using the fabric for another project, and tossing out the screwy instructions. I'm not dumb, the instructions are just a mess! My SIL who makes beautiful quilts even looked at it, and she couldn't figure it out!

Scrap41 03-31-2013 06:29 PM

Sorry if I have answered the same as others; I haven't read all the answers. If the quilt shop is still there, contact them
and see if they still have the pattern and get the missing pages. I got a pattern and pages were missing; it wasn't 6 years later, but I went back to the shop and they gave me the missing pages. Or if they don't have them, see if the pattern maker has them. I have gotten them from the designer too. You paid for the pattern, you should get all of it.
Some patterns need a little tweaking anyway.....but if you are a beginner, that is hard to do. Good luck getting all
of the pattern.

pippi65 03-31-2013 08:18 PM

The problem is a lot of times that these patterns are made by designers not quilters or even sewers!! I won't name any names but some "big" name designers patterns are just very poorly done. Also I agree about the black & white pictures!! I want to be able to see it in color. JMHO

dray965 04-01-2013 03:33 AM

Would it be breaking a board rule if we all would give each other a 'heads up' when we run across patterns that aren't accurate? I am a subscriber to some quilt mags and they will usually post on their website corrections for the mistakes made in the magazine patterns. However, I don't always remember to go to the website to check for them before I start the quilt. Very upsetting when I discover that I should have checked first.

I think it would be soooo great to have a sticky link or somesuch that has lists of patterns with mistakes and their corrections along side.

But like I said...maybe it's a no-no...???

just wondering.

crafterrn1 04-01-2013 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 5968082)

This is oh so true! I am a quilt designer and pattern writer. Trust me it is not easy to write a quilt pattern. Many pattern writers do not have their patterns tested. I do. I have 2 or 3 different levels of quilters make the quilt from the written words. I also have a good friend proofread the pattern. I don't mind the corrections to the pattern as much as I mind a completely rewritten version. I am writing the pattern my way. I also appreciate when a quilter making my pattern finds any errors! I can make the corrections reprint that page and move on! So if you have a designers name on the kits pattern then contact that person. It could be the shop resized that pattern for the kit. I always go back to the source. Let me know if I can help figure it out with you! Luann

quiltstringz 04-01-2013 09:21 AM

I agree that some pattern creators are just not all there! However that being said when it is somthing put together by a shop like on a shop hop - it is wise to look through it carefully immediately! these are not patterns that are being sold, and the person writing the instructions is not normally a pattern creator so quite often things are a little vague or left out. Ask me how I know- yep ran into the same problems you are having, turned out in the end with some creativity but now if I have to have one of those I check it out right away!