Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The worst mistake you ever made{quilting}? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-mistake-you-ever-made%7Bquilting%7D-t104667.html)

kem77 03-03-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Worst mistake I've made.... so far....

I was making log cabin blocks (needed 49 blocks) and set the project aside for a couple of weeks after making about half of them. When I started back up I used some 1.5 inch strips instead of the 2 inch I started with. Noticed this mistake after all the blocks were finished. Not good! I guess I could use them to make two separate smaller quilts.

What did you do? OR add some sashings as they say!!!

DeneK 03-03-2011 02:17 PM

One of my first quilts was supposed to be for a co-worker who was expecting a baby. I found the cutest cat pattern. Bought the fabric -- cut it all out -- started putting it together. Well it was before I learned how careful you must be when cutting and I didn't have a clue about 1/4" seams. I think the sloppily cut fabric is still languishing in a dark corner somewhere. Never did do a quilt for my friend. As a matter of fact, didn't do any more quilting for a number of years.

kem77 03-03-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I didn't figure out it takes more blocks to set on point than in rows. I was finished with the blocks and had no more fabric when I found out. My daughter's quilt is special because it has a big star in the center. She doesn't need to know it's because her mother wasn't too bright that day.

Buying fabric from ebay unless the manufacturer is mentioned. No more of that.

Good to know. I haven't tryed anything like that but have fallin in love with a few tablerunners that they say are on point. I am a good one for trying things out without using directions. I think it is in the genes. Your daughter is very lucky anyway.

kem77 03-03-2011 02:29 PM

That's why I started on it last winter and started back on it this winter. I even tought of cutting it in half to make it go faster. But then the weatherman was wrong again so I took a long walk. also a sinus pill that will make me take a nap!!!!

gal288 03-03-2011 02:39 PM

Not washing fabric because I. Couldn' t wait to get started,,, & sure enough it bled!

cmagee84 03-03-2011 02:43 PM

Sewing the wrong side to the right side, instead of right sides together.

Also, ripping out a mistake because it was in the wrong place, then sewing it wrong all over again! Not too funny at the time! :)

ptquilts 03-03-2011 03:01 PM

I have not yet done what I always fear, basting a quilt with the backing wrong side out.
I was ironing a Lone Star top once, not mine but I was going to quilt it. Steam iron decided to urp up some rusty water right on the unbleached muslin. I had to replace the whole big square. Haven't used steam on a light colored top since.

SuziC 03-03-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I cut the back of my quilt while snipping threads to remove it from the sewing machine. I had to put the label in a creative spot!

What an ingenious way to "cover up" a BOO BOO!!! LOL

quilterd 03-03-2011 04:12 PM

a lady hired me to quilt for her
I had my frame set up in my utility room
I didn't have heat in there ,I was heating with a kerosene heater.
I got to noticing that the quilt was looking darker
I run my hand across it & it mas smutty
oh my was I worried
my heater had smoked & I didn't notice

oh was I ever worried
I took a clean cloth & wiped untl I got all off that I could
I never did tell that lady about it and I quilted a lot of quilts for her after that

wanderingcreek 03-03-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Piecing about 30 miles of strips together with no bobbin thread.... sigh.

Jan in VA

I have done that many times especially when makjing bargellos and having to line up all the blocks and getting into a groove where it seems to be going so great only to have to do it again when I finally wake up and realize that I ran out of bobbin thread AGAIN! I have also done this numerous times on the same quilt!