Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would appreciate your advice for baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-appreciate-your-advice-baby-quilt-t129738.html)

Divokittysmom 06-11-2011 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased the oh soooo soft flannel fabrics pictured below for a new grandson to be born in October. :thumbup: This will be my first baby quilt that is pieced. I am thinking perhaps a simple pattern of 6" squares. I added a plain blue and pale green that match the fabrics pictured. That will give me 6 different fabrics to work with.
A) Do I have enough variety? do I need another print?? :?:
B) What pattern would you suggest? :?:
C) Coming from a sewing background I am tempted to serge the seams; as we all know.. it will be washed dozens of times. However, think this will create too much bulk and not be comfortable for baby. :|
D) HELP! :lol:
The small bundle pictured is for borders to burp cloths.
Thank you everyone!

Flannel Fabrics for baby quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210059[/ATTACH]

katier825 06-11-2011 02:17 PM

Those are cute! You could do 6" squares in your choice of layouts...random, diagonally, trip around the world. I think you've got a great selection of fabrics there. Unless you want more, I don't think you need them.

Since they are flannel, you may want to prewash. What are you doing on the back? More flannel? Minkee? Either would be very nice.

dinlauren 06-11-2011 02:23 PM

I think you have enough variety with 6 colors. And they are beautiful. I would do as you have described and make 5 inch squares and then arrange them in a diagonal or diamond pattern or even on point with setting triangles and border it...........have fun no matter what you do. It will be a wonderful quilt because you chose great fabrics.

I also would NOT serge them as it does create bulk like you said.

Divokittysmom 06-11-2011 02:27 PM

I forgot to include that yes, I definitely prewashed them!! :D
I am thinking of flannel on the reverse side also... however, minkee would be a fabulous alternative. Thanks for the thought!

Like the idea of setting them on point, that would bring more interest to the quilt! Thanks!

Great suggestions so far!!

irishrose 06-11-2011 02:47 PM

If you're concerned about the handling and extra washing, then make the seams a little wider - up to 1/2 inch. Unless you're doing triangles, it won't make any difference in the difficulty of making the quilt and it will be more likely to hold up. Most flannel is not as closely woven as our quilting cottons.

The fabrics you've chosen are perfect!

NancyG 06-11-2011 02:50 PM

There is a light green minky dot fabric that goes perfectly with the animal flannel print. I made a self-binding quilt with those 2 fabrics. Really cute and oh so soft!

katesnanna 06-11-2011 03:21 PM

Love your fabric choices.

nycquilter 06-11-2011 03:39 PM

yellow brick road would be a super easy quilt that only needs 6 fat quarters for a nice-sized baby quilt. Goes together easily and looks more complicated. I think your fabrics would be great with it.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 06-11-2011 04:21 PM

Such precious fabric. They look so soft and cuddly. Love the colors.

Divokittysmom 06-11-2011 05:53 PM

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions! Darling Daughter chose the color palette for our new little guy. Nana had the fun part,..shopping for the fabric!! :thumbup:

Anyday fabric shopping is a FABULOUS day! :thumbup: