Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would this be considered last minute for a Long Arm Quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-considered-last-minute-long-arm-quilter-t228535.html)

StephT 08-22-2013 02:47 PM

Would this be considered last minute for a Long Arm Quilter?

I am almost done with a quilt for my Brother's wedding on Sept 13th. I just have a border to put on it. It is going to almost be a King size quilt and I just started quilting so this is going to be to big for me right now to FMQ. would it be to late to expect it back by the 13th?

I know..I really needed more time but we were just told two weeks ago that he was getting married. LOL

ckcowl 08-22-2013 02:51 PM

you need to contact the long arm quilter you plan to take it to and ask- some have a 2 week (or less) turn around time-some are months behind- everyone has their own policies, time frames, prices- only the person you plan to have quilt it can answer your question- if you do not have someone lined up yet you should be making calls- and get an appointment set up as soon as possible- if a quilter knows your deadline & you make arrangements ahead of time you have a much better chance of meeting your deadline- remember you need time to do your binding too- so you will want the quilt done a few days before the wedding.

JenniePenny 08-22-2013 03:57 PM

Yes, ask around. I have future appointments with two long-arm quilters on Sept 10, October 8, and January 28, 2014. The fall appointments have been on my calendar (and the professional quilter's calendar) since May. We just booked the January appointment last week.
All the best to your brother and his bride. You can always give them their quilt a few weeks late.

ArtsyOne 08-22-2013 04:04 PM

Yes - when I took a baby quilt to my LQS, I was told that minimum turnaround time is 6 weeks. You could purchase a lovely card and put a gift certificate for the quilt inside.

frustratedquilter40 08-22-2013 04:05 PM

I agree depending on where you live you may not get it back in time depending on how many LA quilters are in your area . But there are LA quilterswho can do a rush job but may have tp pay a few extra $'s. Good luck

AliKat 08-22-2013 09:29 PM

I suggest you take a picture of your finished quilt top and put that in a card for the wedding gift with a note that the finished quilt will follow.

mighty 08-23-2013 06:27 AM

Best to check with the LA you are going to use.

Scissor Queen 08-23-2013 06:41 AM

If all you want is a big meander you might find a longarm quilter that'll get it done for you. But as a rule I've found that longarmers that have really short turn around times are either really new or their work isn't that good and they don't have many repeat customers. Of course that's not always the rule, sometimes you run across longarm quilters that only do pantograms and don't do custom so they have a shorter turn around time.