Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would like to hear feedback on the UNIVERSAL THREAD STAND??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-like-hear-feedback-universal-thread-stand-t173651.html)

june2rose 12-29-2011 04:44 PM

Would like to hear feedback on the UNIVERSAL THREAD STAND???

I would like to hear comments from anyone that may have a universal thread stand....the one that can stand up and hold a cone or can also be use on it's side for other types of thread spools, stacked vs. cross wound thread.
I am considering purchasing one, but would like to hear other's comments, pro or con. Thanks.

sewready 12-29-2011 04:57 PM

I have used one for years. In fact, I have one sitting beside each sewing machine in my house. I like the idea of using the thread on cones, much more cost effective than the small spools of thread.

IAmCatOwned 12-29-2011 06:05 PM

I have 3 of these. Two are plastic (I keep on in my sewing machine cart), one has a very HEAVY metal base (painted brass?). The lighter ones are perfect for everything except quilting. I keep knocking them down with the quilt when quilting. So, I bought the heavy metal base one. I've had trouble with the center pin staying in, although the one that holds the thread up works fine. The only improvement is to simply get that thing up and out of the way so that the quilt cannot come in contact with the thread cone and knock it over. This link shows you what they look like.

I cannot answer your question about one that holds stacked thread, etc.

LivelyLady 12-29-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned (Post 4822398)
I have 3 of these. Two are plastic (I keep on in my sewing machine cart), one has a very HEAVY metal base (painted brass?). The lighter ones are perfect for everything except quilting. I keep knocking them down with the quilt when quilting. So, I bought the heavy metal base one. I've had trouble with the center pin staying in, although the one that holds the thread up works fine. The only improvement is to simply get that thing up and out of the way so that the quilt cannot come in contact with the thread cone and knock it over. This link shows you what they look like.

I cannot answer your question about one that holds stacked thread, etc.

I have the cast iron one too and love it. When I use rayon thread, I put one of nets from my serger over the thread and when I use invisible thread, I put it in a baby food jar with a punched hole in the top.

michelehuston 12-30-2011 03:59 AM

I haven't purchased any yet, but interested in what others say as well

CharlotteO 12-30-2011 04:41 AM

I have the inexpensive one that I got at a fabric store eons ago. Did have problems with projects hitting it and knocking it over, put a half dozen large washers over the thread spool. Haven't knocked it over since. I use the large cones of thread also. I now have a new sewing machine, and a Martha Pullen thread stand that holds 10 spools, so rarely have to use the cone holder.

Sewhappytoquilt 12-30-2011 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Why waste your money. I adapted a paper towel holder - works GREAT!

pinkberrykay 12-30-2011 06:16 AM

I have one with the cast iron base, works great. No more running out of thread so soon. IMO worth every penny. I paid $14 for mine at my LQS but have seen them for less on line.

jitkaau 12-30-2011 06:37 AM

I have two. One of them has a telescopic pin in the middle which is designed to prevent metallic thread from snapping. It seems to be working as I have little problem with sewing with unusual threads. I find the stands very useful in delivering a nice, even feed of thread. Stand it to the right hand side of the machine and it doesn't interfere with the quilting.

littlesurfer 12-30-2011 08:27 AM

I bought one with a cast iron base from Connecting Threads and use it all the time.