Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would like some opinions on color please :-) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-like-some-opinions-color-please-t41062.html)

sewnsewer2 03-29-2010 07:18 AM

Love your quilt Ditter!

raptureready 03-29-2010 10:33 AM

Himnherr, I was finally able to put my avatar on. That's my rigidly controlled scrappy that I was telling you about.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-29-2010 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Black sounds great! I am also doing a very colorful one just now. It is the Boxed Squares pattern. I am looking forward to getting them matched up.

Oh, by the way, your question was clear to me. I know what you are saying. :thumbup:

It was clear to me too.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-29-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by himnherr
I am in the process of making a "controlled scrappy" in the pattern square in a square. I'm not sure of the meaning of controlled scrappy, but I use that phrase to mean that each color of square in a square matches each other but each finished block does not match the other finished blocks. :roll: Clear as mud? OK- here's my question on this one: I don't want each sq. to butt up against each other, to me nothing would stand out that way- so I want to make sashing. My idea was black. Kinda would remind me of those old granny sq. afghans that used up all scraps and then outlined in black. Does that sound good, or do you have another idea for sashing? The sqs. are mostly bright colors.

Next question: my next project is going to be a D9P made with black and brown prints. I want my center sq. that gets cut into 4 pcs. to pop with color and I will place them strategically. My idea was turquoise or teal. What ya' think? It'll be a small couch size quilt for my MIL and her couch is a blue green.

These are my 3rd and 4th quilts so am still a bit uneasy about color selection, although I know they are both kinda scrappies but I'd like it to look good when I'm finished. :-)

Thanks for your input!

The first one will look great with black sashing. I've made 6 just like that so far and I'm working on #7 & 8. i used solids for the cornerstones. I don't know that I would call it a "controlled" scrappy though. You'll love the way it turns out though.

Teal would really work with the other one.

beautiful quilt.

himnherr 03-29-2010 01:19 PM

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I am still playing around with it, as I'm not even done with the one I'm working on now. So, I do have time to think about it. I did pick up a yard of brown, gold and teal paisley today and some of the teals in 3 different small prints, so I will have something to play around with.
Scissor Queen, Ditter & Rapture Ready- those are beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing them.

Lori

littlehud 03-29-2010 07:57 PM

Your idea of black for sashing is great. It would make your blocks pop. I would put teal in the center of your block for a splash of color. IMHO

Tippy 03-29-2010 08:26 PM

love the black with scrappy.. and I like either turquoise or a peachy pink with the brown and black.

Lady Crafter 03-30-2010 07:14 AM

Love the idea of teal for the brown and black! :)