Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would You Believe?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-believe-t112278.html)

Pickle 03-31-2011 08:29 AM

I have finished my first and possibly last flying geese pattern. I was laying it out to piece it all together and the geese on the light sauares are flying in the wrong direction. I found it very confusing to make even if it was Elanore Burns book. I think I will name it the Wild Goose Chase!! I do have to say, my seams are all good the sqs measure up, that at least is a plus.
I just had to share my delima. I am sure if I give this away I will give it to a non quilter and they will never know and be happy with it. I hope
So I am just wondering if any one else has a problem with this pattern besides me.
Pickle

AgapeStitches 03-31-2011 08:32 AM

Not the wrong direction, change in design....it happens to more of us than you know.

SuzanneG 03-31-2011 08:35 AM

I haven't had a problem with this particular design, but this type of thing happens to most all of us at least once! :-D Smile, you're in very good company!! :D :D

milp04 03-31-2011 08:39 AM

Hi Picke, it has happened to many of us. Just consider this your "new" design opportunity. Your quilt does not have to look exactly like the pattern as it was intended. It's yours.

I happen to like the name of "Wild Goose Chase" as the name for your quilt. I would go ahead and quilt and bind it up.

Would you mind sharing picture(s) with us?

Pam M

callie 03-31-2011 08:48 AM

I can believe it! I have made Eleanor Burns flying geese pattern more than once and last year I chose a western fabric that was basically striped. Fortunately I had cut and sewn twice as many as I needed, but when I went to take them all apart and put them around my block I discovered that half the strips went up and down and half side to side. I did a couple of extra blocks thinking I had done something wrong (ha ha) - nope, that's just how they turn out. I am not a beginning quilter, but certainly was fooled with that one - so Pickle, you aren't the only one!

TonnieLoree 03-31-2011 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by callie
I can believe it! I have made Eleanor Burns flying geese pattern more than once and last year I chose a western fabric that was basically striped. Fortunately I had cut and sewn twice as many as I needed, but when I went to take them all apart and put them around my block I discovered that half the strips went up and down and half side to side. I did a couple of extra blocks thinking I had done something wrong (ha ha) - nope, that's just how they turn out. I am not a beginning quilter, but certainly was fooled with that one - so Pickle, you aren't the only one!

Using stripes in anything with a diagonal seam makes me groan in frustration. They seem to have a diabolical mind of there own. :lol:

irishrose 03-31-2011 09:05 AM

I'm doing striped HSTs for a Quilt for Kids quilt. When I was making the squares, I had to tape on on the wall in front of me.

The chasing geese idea sounds like a winner. I do find the design wall helps me with things like this.

lscho4jm 03-31-2011 09:07 AM

Callie, love your profile picture. Did you quilt that? It is so pretty!

Linda in Maryland

rusty quilter 03-31-2011 09:16 AM

I can't count the times things haven't turned out as I thought they would. Enjoy them--whichever way they are flying!

Pickle 03-31-2011 09:33 AM

I could consider sending a photo when it is quilted but I will have to get my grandaughter here to help me send it.
I felt bad about the mistake but then I thought, I am the artist LOL
Pickle