Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you like to hear a speaker discuss vintage machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-like-hear-speaker-discuss-vintage-machines-t285200.html)

Pagzz 01-13-2017 06:36 PM

Would you like to hear a speaker discuss vintage machines?

We are working on setting up speakers for 2018 for our guild.

One suggestion was a speaker on vintage machines. I know model #s etc. I have a Singer 201, there was a treadle at our house when I was little, and I see Bonnie Hunter post about her new vintage acquisitions. I personally don't think I'd be interested in a one hour lecture, but I would like opinions on the idea. Do you think this would be a good idea?

Thanks.

Cari-in-Oly 01-13-2017 06:47 PM

How many other members have and use vintage machines? I'm sure there are FW users. Personally, I go to almost every get together or other gathering for vintage machines I can find time for. I bet there are those who would really enjoy this.

Cari

dunster 01-13-2017 07:29 PM

I would enjoy that lecture, if the speaker is knowledgeable.

minibarn 01-13-2017 07:53 PM

I agree, if the speaker is knowledgeable it would be worth attending. It also might make some people interested in the old machines that had not been before (if that makes sense). I really like my old machines but often don't know much about them because they can be so different (like the direction the hand wheel turns) unlike today's machines that are all basically the same.

Dolphyngyrl 01-13-2017 08:18 PM

I would only do it if the guild has a lot of members that are into it. Me personally am not into vintage machines. I think it is only something one would enjoy only if they had interest

quiltingshorttimer 01-13-2017 09:49 PM

I probably would not be that interested, and especially if the speaker did not have machines to show which would likely be hard for that person to bring. Maybe a good speaker would be on machine maintenance??

Jennifer23 01-13-2017 11:23 PM

I like listening to talks by people who are really interested in their topic. I don't get bored or turned off, even if the topic isn't my cup of tea, as I appreciate the speaker's enthusiasm, and like hearing about new things. It's only an hour.

That being said, I do like vintage and antique machines, and would probably enjoy it more if there were pictures or sample machines to look at.

Your guild won't be able to to come up with a slate of speakers that will please every member every time. I think it's a good idea to offer a couple talks that aren't directly quilting related; it keeps it fresh.

mjpEncinitas 01-14-2017 05:31 AM

Nope I wouldn't attend a meeting with that topic. Just not interested and time is valuable. My husband and oldest son would enjoy the topic. I could see them attending then going and buying old machines to fix them.

bungalow59 01-14-2017 07:47 AM

I would enjoy it if perhaps the speaker could also show quilts made on the vintage machines... Otherwise I think I would be bored with the topic.

minibarn 01-14-2017 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 (Post 7740538)
I like listening to talks by people who are really interested in their topic. I don't get bored or turned off, even if the topic isn't my cup of tea, as I appreciate the speaker's enthusiasm, and like hearing about new things. It's only an hour.

That being said, I do like vintage and antique machines, and would probably enjoy it more if there were pictures or sample machines to look at.

Your guild won't be able to to come up with a slate of speakers that will please every member every time. I think it's a good idea to offer a couple talks that aren't directly quilting related; it keeps it fresh.

This is so very true...you can't please all the people all the time. And no matter what the topic, if the speaker isn't engaging no one will enjoy it.