Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you pay to have you binding sewn on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-pay-have-you-binding-sewn-t36585.html)

LucyInTheSky 02-11-2010 07:44 AM

For those of you saying no, do you do your own quilting? Or pay a long arm?

My theory, and we'll see if I'm right, is that you do your own. I wouldn't pay someone else to quilt my projects, and I also wouldn't pay someone to do my binding. Don't have the $ and I like doing it myself. My friend who is a long arm quilter said she didn't want to pay anyone to do quilting for her, so she bought a long arm :shock:

Candace 02-11-2010 07:51 AM

Pretty much, I like doing it myself. I have stuck to smaller size quilts so I don't have to pay for a longarmer.

farscapegal 02-11-2010 07:57 AM

Putting binding on is therapeutic for me. I like doing all my work on my quilt. Makes it more mine.

Sybil

Pam S 02-11-2010 08:10 AM

A few months ago, in the back of some quilting magazine, I saw an ad for binding. This person was charging $.15 an inch for just the hand sewing and .30 for attaching the entire binding. That would be $36 or $70 for a 60" quilt and about $54 or $108 for a double size. Considering it takes me about 4 hours just to do the hand sewing on a double/queen, that figures out to about $13.50 per hour (unless you're a fast sewer) so I think that's about right. Not sure how many of us would pay that much for the convenience if we can do it ourselves, but if there's a market, I wouldn't mind doing it. I love to do the bindings because I can do them while I watch TV and multitask.

brushandthimble 02-11-2010 01:44 PM

I like to do mine while watching TV. I charge a flat $20.00, If you were closer I would love to do yours. I have to have something to do while watching TV with my DH.

quilterjeri 02-11-2010 02:35 PM

Mostly word of mouth. Haven't done any lately for others.

thequilteddove 02-11-2010 03:18 PM

I charge .30 to machine sew to front & hand sew to back. Granted I don't get a LOT of binding work, but a few ladies will pay *shrugs*. Myself, I would prefer to do my own binding :)

Daisygirl 02-11-2010 03:30 PM

I send all my quilts to a longarmer and she does my binding, I think she charges about 5 cents per inch. She does a great job, alot better than I do. I do my own binding on the smaller projects though.

Bottle Blonde 02-11-2010 06:41 PM

I do my own quilting and binding. My favorite part of making a quilt is the binding step. Putting on the binding is like framing a picture.

adriansmom 02-12-2010 11:31 PM

I like to do binding. I enjoy making it myself and it gives me something to do when I am at dialysis. Since I have tobe there for 4hrs, I can usually get a quilt done fairly easily. I have only sent 1 quilt out to a LAQ because it was too big for my machine. It was about twin size and I don't have the space to accomodate anything that big. I usually don't make anything bigger than crib size, so it usually isn't a big deal.