Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you recommend this pattern for a first quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-recommend-pattern-first-quilt-t203716.html)

Carolyn All Day 10-21-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia (Post 5598720)
I had my 11 yr GD make it. We did starch. Her biggest problem was once it was laid out to remember which sides to sew together. As you sew reposition to layout to make sure rows are right.

I love this quilt! Is the pattern available online somewhere?

sewbizgirl 10-21-2012 01:03 PM

I made one and it was very easy and lots of fun. You don't have to use a jelly roll, you can cut your own 2.5" strips. It's fun to cut open those tubes and put the blocks together. Just magic!

helenquilt 10-21-2012 02:05 PM

Only suggestion I have is DO NOT use strips of any kind in you first quilt. Have fun

rj.neihart 10-22-2012 03:04 AM

Why not? If it appeals to you...I say try it! No matter which pattern you choose, you will always remember your first....

AnnT 10-22-2012 04:01 AM

I think it's a great pattern. If you feel comfortable with it, go for it! I'd love to see a picture of it when you get finsihed.

ghquilter53 10-22-2012 04:08 AM

I love this blog. Just spent the last 20 minutes on there and joined. Yes this would be an ok quilt for a beginner...just be very careful with bias edges once the triangles are cut. Press with hot iron after the block is made.

Caswews 10-22-2012 05:05 AM

Just go slow, read directions and when you get frustrated go have some chocolate and take a break from quilting. Then go back with a fresh mind, eyes and move forward. Be sure re-read directions when you take a break, maybe something will click for taking the frustration out of that quilt.

You will do fine and probably make many more quilts.

Noiseynana 10-22-2012 05:08 AM

I have to tell you a story. My first quilt was Robbing Peter to Pay Paul. I did a few mistakes but got it finished. It looked like it was supposed to so I showed it to a lady at the quilt shop. BTW this was a doll quilt. The lady was shocked and asked why I did that as it was a very hard quilt and very experienced quilters did this . I told her " I guess because no one told me I couldn't do it " . SO if you want to try it , don't get advice from someone else , Just do it . Noiseynana

QandE2010 10-22-2012 05:44 AM

I have just a couple suggestions. 1) as someone said, it would be a good ideas to make a table runner or placemat to see how the pieces go together & also to see whether or not you even enjoy making this particular quilt. 2) when you press, DO not iron, as that distorts the fabric. Because this is cut on bias, there is a greater chances of that. So put your iron down on the fabric & take it off before moving. In other words, don't move the iron while it is on the fabric. (I don't know how advanced in your knowledge you are, so if you already know these suggestions, ignore them.)

Normabeth 10-22-2012 06:21 AM

Yes, this is one of my first quilts that I made, liked the way it came out - was sent to Joplin, MO after the tornados