Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-rent-machine-free-motion-quilting-class-t139649.html)

JENNR8R 07-23-2011 06:56 AM

I'm thinking about taking a four-day free-motion quilting class that would require an airplane to get to. I have zero experience in free-motion quilting. I don't think I want to ship my Bernina 1630 to the class for fear of something happening to it. It's too heavy to take on the airplane.

The class offers rental of Berninas that are not the same model as mine... specifically models 1230, 1130 and 1090.

Do you think that learning free-motion quilting on one of these machines would be worthwhile to me? I don't know if learning free-motion quilting has more to do with learning the muscle memory required to do it or learning how to use my specific machine to do it.

Which one of the rental machine models would you ask for?

Lacelady 07-23-2011 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
I'm thinking about taking a four-day free-motion quilting class that would require an airplane to get to. I have zero experience in free-motion quilting. I don't think I want to ship my Bernina 1630 to the class for fear of something happening to it. It's too heavy to take on the airplane.

The class offers rental of Berninas that are not the same model as mine... specifically models 1230, 1130 and 1090.

Do you think that learning free-motion quilting on one of these machines would be worthwhile to me? I don't know if learning free-motion quilting has more to do with learning the muscle memory required to do it or learning how to use my specific machine to do it.

Which one of the rental machine models would you ask for?

I have a 1260 (just like the 1230 but with an extra alphabet) That is the closest to yours, I think yours has more bells and whistles, but I am fairly sure that learning FMQ would be very similar. If in doubt, could you consult with the teacher?

CoyoteQuilts 07-23-2011 07:10 AM

Sad you can't take yours. Part of the 'learning' is finding out what problems you will have with the machine you will be using. You can learn FMQ on another machine for the speed of hand and machine and if others have problems you will learn how to trouble shoot.

Good luck on your new adventure.

JENNR8R 07-23-2011 07:17 AM

"If in doubt, could you consult with the teacher?"

It took over two weeks to get a reply to my first question about the class from the teacher. I sent another question three days ago and haven't gotten a response yet. They are VERY busy. I'm getting anxious about making a decision and getting an airline reservation before the price increases.

Do you do free-motion quilting on your Bernina?

Lindsey 07-23-2011 07:20 AM

I think using another machine would be fine. I know when i learned to free motion most of mine was drawing. You know you are training eye hand coordination as much as anything else. Once you train your brain to do it, it will be second nature on any machine. It all takes practice.

JENNR8R 07-23-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Sad you can't take yours. Part of the 'learning' is finding out what problems you will have with the machine you will be using. You can learn FMQ on another machine for the speed of hand and machine and if others have problems you will learn how to trouble shoot.

Good luck on your new adventure.

Thanks :) From what I've read, my Bernina would not be the best machine to do free-motion quilting on anyway. If I like doing it, I wouldn't be against buying another machine that would have better features such as a bigger throat plate.

cctx. 07-23-2011 07:25 AM

If given the opportunity to rent one, I would.

boysmomoflabs 07-23-2011 07:26 AM

If you have a chance to pick up a Singer 301, the feed dogs drop for FM quilting. They are relatively light, big sister to the FW, and quite durable machines. Do a search here if you need more info on them.

I lubs mine!! moreso than the Bernina and my Viking #1

janell2009 07-23-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by cctx.
If given the opportunity to rent one, I would.

ditto, rent one.... In my humble opinion FMQ is training the eye hand coordination anyway, and practice, practice, practice. So a class is a confidence builder 1st and foremost, plus hopefully you will learn some tricks along the way.

JENNR8R 07-23-2011 07:33 AM

Wow! In just a few minutes I have corresponded with people from Ireland, Arizona, and Pennsylvania about a class in Colorado... and I'm in Virginia.

This website is cool! :-D

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning farther toward Colorado with every response. ;-)