Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   would you sew with a poplin material? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-sew-poplin-material-t219809.html)

girliegirl 04-23-2013 10:21 AM

would you sew with a poplin material?

would you sew a quilt with a poplin ? 65/35 cotton? would you mix it with a cotton material as well? this is the material that is made of scrubs....

Prism99 04-23-2013 10:51 AM

You can do that. You just need to be aware of the differences between 65/35 poplin and 100% cotton. One is that cotton fabrics will fade faster over time, making the poplin colors more vibrant in comparison. (This isn't a problem if you are not making heirloom quilts.) Another is that poly mixes are harder to use with turned-under applique (probably not a technique you are planning to use). Check and make sure that the poplin doesn't fray more easily than cotton; if it frays very easily, you may need to go to 3/8" seams and choose patterns accordingly. Poplin is probably a little more slippery to sew; just be careful when you are sewing seams to maintain accuracy.

Having said all that, yes, I would sew a quilt of mixed materials including 63/35 cotton.

Annie68 04-23-2013 10:54 AM

I wouldn't because I like to use 100% cotton in my quilts and not mix with cotton/poly. There is no reason why you couldn't go ahead and use the poplin if you want to, there really aren't any rules, do as you please.

girliegirl 04-23-2013 10:54 AM

i was thinking of even if i was to use it for all backing of a quilt.... I can get it on rolls at next to nothing...........

barny 04-23-2013 11:18 AM

Well, golly, get it! You will find uses for it everywhere. I wouldn't let it get away.

ranger 04-23-2013 11:28 AM

I have used a white poplin as a quilt backing...no problems.

kamaiarigby 04-23-2013 12:13 PM

I would use it if I had it in my stash, for a charity quilt. Some of The folk who receive our charity quilts will not treat them with the love and care we do, they have a very functional use for these people, so I think poplin would be harder wearing than cotton

MamaInRed 04-23-2013 12:26 PM

It will not have the same soft drape to it as 100% cotton, nor will it be as cuddly. With that said it would be perfect for utility type quilts that are washed far more often & heavily used outdoor, camping etc.

toolazy 04-23-2013 12:57 PM

Yes, yes, and yes :) . The only things I would consider are:

1. Fading and shrink may differ from the 100% cottons, so that may influence your quilt design.

2. Sew a few test samples side by side with any 100% cottons you'll be using. Occasionally I get some poplin that is sooooooo tightly woven I need to use a different needle and tension setting to avoid puckers. Not likely to be true of scrub fabric but I would still test before use.

The blended scrub poplins that I have are mostly quite soft, nice drape, virtually indistinguishable from 100% cotton. I have to look at the label to know which is which.

sewmary 04-23-2013 02:07 PM

I was going to mention those tightly woven poplins. I used to use them in garment sewing and they do wear well but watch your needle and tension. If that is the kind you have - they usually come in solid colors for use on bottoms (called bottomweights! for pants, skits, etc.) - you may have more difficulty. Not to say you should't use them. They just behave differently.