Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/would-you-work-walmart-fabric-department-t255262.html)

MartiToo 10-14-2014 07:51 AM

Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

I was at Walmart yesterday (our small town options for sewing notions are Walmart or nothing) and talked to the lady working the fabric department. We were just chatting about everything from shoe inserts to teaching school and she said she just works there a couple of days a week, just enough to have a little play money. My dh has been after to me to get a job and quit being a hermit, but I don't want to teach school 5 days a week and grade essays all weekend. A couple of days a week appeals to me, especially if it is doing something I like.

Homespun 10-14-2014 07:55 AM

I would if I needed the extra income.

BrendaK 10-14-2014 08:00 AM

Sounds good to me. BrendaK

QuiltingNinaSue 10-14-2014 08:04 AM

It would depend upon the Manager of the store and his polices...I have seen good and bad, so check it out before you apply. How the workers on the floor feel about him and the check out cashiers...just observe for yourself...they hold departmental meetings of "Rah, rah, and rah!" on the floor at various times. How bad do you want the money, and want would you put up with for the $$$?

I love my Wal Marts in this area, but well aware of the different managers of the store, just from shopping there. Sorry, but for excellent fabrics I would prefer a Jo Ann's or better yet, a Quilt Store with fabric on sale...I would buy so much, dh would have to pay for my gas in the car to get to work! LOL!

Better yet, let him get a second job, and you stay home to quilt!!! LOL!!

Onebyone 10-14-2014 08:05 AM

I doubt you will get the days you want to work. A new hire may not get days and will have to work weekends and Holidays. To get out of your seclusion and raise your spirits check into local volunteer spots in your community. There are many volunteer spots to fit every interest. Court, library, art center, and museum are my favorite volunteer places.

Billi 10-14-2014 08:05 AM

Sure I shop there I would work there especially if I can work in a department I want to work in. I would hate the clothing or grocery area but would love the sporting goods, automotive and hardware, craft area or electronics.

Funny story a while back I ran into a mom from my kids grade school days when I was shopping at wally......she was stocking cards we stopped and chatted about our now college age kids and she looked at me horrified "I don't work here I work for the card company" it cracked me up why be embarrassed where or why you work.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-14-2014 08:15 AM

You say you don't want to teach school 5 days a week, so I assume you are a qualified teacher. Can you substitute? In our are subs are paid well and called frequently. They have the right of refusal for any day or job they don't want. If you subbed at different schools, you would have an opportunity to meet several groups of coworkers.

roguequilter 10-14-2014 08:27 AM

interesting query! i am a registered nurse, my husband construction engineer. when my son was in school, i stayed home to be w him. we traveled to jobs for years, until we decided the freq change of schools was difficult for our "Difficult Child". but after what seemed like a lifetime of never stopping, to suddenly sit at home while the son was in school all day, iwell ...i wasn't real happy. i accepted a part time position in a fabric store when offered as i was, once again, in going thru patterns & fabric for clothing for my growing guy. it was at a jo-annes before the company started buing up all thier competition & was still a wonderful little place to shop. i loved it! meeting people who loved to sew, create & quilt as much as i did! and the discounts were nice bonus. so...go for it. so much less stressful than my other day job was before i stayed home. i think you might enjoy a part time position in a walmart fabric department. just don't be too adept, they'll send you to departments a lot less fun

MartiToo 10-14-2014 08:32 AM

Yes, I was a teacher, and I have subbed, but that is worse than teaching except for grading papers at home. I'm also an abstractor/landman, but again that's not a part time job. I don't have to work though dh says I seem happier when I'm working. I would like to fund this rather expensive hobby myself rather than taking it out of our monthly budget. Plus, it would be nice to talk to people, other than dh & the cat. Or myself. I find myself talking out loud a lot. I have volunteered at our local food pantry and library, and it seems to tick off dh that I give away time without getting anything out of it.

QuiltedCritterLady 10-14-2014 08:38 AM

Here's my two-cents worth on the question: I would definitely consider a part time job in the WalMart fabric department if I wanted to work with fabric. I was just let go from a small quilt shop here in Phoenix because the owner said she could not afford her payroll. (And believe me, I was not making much to begin with ...) I had been enjoying the job and so I went to find another in a different quilt shop. What I found was that they are all struggling. At least you would not have to worry about getting paid at WM.