Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wracking my brain to arrange this fabric/pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wracking-my-brain-arrange-fabric-pattern-t214545.html)

hudgoddess 02-22-2013 10:03 PM

LindaOH - WOW! That's fantastic! I need to clear some stuff off my plate so I can buy and learn EQ!
Teeler-Beautiful fabric line! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Teeler 02-23-2013 05:23 AM

Linda- THANK YOU! I don't have any version of EQ, but thinking I should probably invest in it. Love the way you worked it up. Brain overthinking; just couldn't get there yesterday. I super-duper appreciate it!
(Yes, typo in the pattern on 60x80; I was trying to figure that out, too, at one point)

Rebecca_S 02-23-2013 08:13 AM

I would take your cues from the layout in the sample picture you showed. You can see how they laid out the charms so that there is maximum contrast between adjoining fabrics. They didn't put 2 blues that were the same hue right together but chose different blues or different creams to touch when they had to be close. Can you pick 1 row or 1 column of the fabrics that appeals to you best and then use those fabrics in that order for your layout, just adding 1 additional fabric?

LyndaOH 02-23-2013 09:02 AM

You're very welcome, Teeler! EQ is just the best.

Where in NH are you? Before Ohio, we lived in Troy, near Keene. My husband and I were just talking yesterday about missing the snow and the adventure of those big storms, which I think you might be experiencing right now!

Lynda

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5881972)
Linda- THANK YOU! I don't have any version of EQ, but thinking I should probably invest in it. Love the way you worked it up. Brain overthinking; just couldn't get there yesterday. I super-duper appreciate it!
(Yes, typo in the pattern on 60x80; I was trying to figure that out, too, at one point)

Teeler 02-23-2013 12:44 PM

Rebecca- good point; will pay more attention to that kind of thing when I'm looking to do this sort of thing. Very helpful.
Lynda- we're down near the seacoast. It's just starting to spit out there now, and not sticking yet.

Daisy Dew 02-24-2013 04:14 AM

When looking at the pattern and the fabrics you have, which I think are beautiful, I do not see a very large scale pattern in the mix. If you look at the pattern it's self there is a very large scale fabric. I wonder if that is why you are unsettled with it. Just a thought.
If you have ample fabric you may want to cut out a small sample with the diamonds and glue stick them on to a sample card to give your eyes an example. I'm so visual that I usually have to do that to wrap my head around it.
I look forward to seeing this beauty come to life - I love 2 color quilts.

bunniequilter 02-24-2013 06:08 AM

Beautiful fabrics, your quilt will be gorgeous

bigsister63 02-24-2013 07:21 AM

I am confused! Why are you laying/looking at the fabrics as if they are going to be used as just square blocks and not "Rebecca's Lone star " pattern? Try to visulize how this fabric line will look in the pattern. If you have a hard time doing that then take the color swatches from the pattern and match them with the fabric samples. Are you going to order this fabric on line? Perhaps you can find a store in your area that carrys this fabric. I think you are over thinking this!!!!

QandE2010 02-24-2013 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH (Post 5881250)
There is a correction on the Windham site that the directions should say 60 x 60".

I popped it into EQ to play with it and the swatches. How about something like this?

Just to see if I was on board with everyone else, I did the same thing you did Lynda & came up with the same color tones as you did. ( Although I chose a solid cream for the background, I like your choice better) That I came to same conclusion you did made me extremely happy as I sometimes out guess myself. I love the look. I have a green brown & tan one ready to be made. I am using the book called "Radiant Star Quilt " by Eleanor Burns.
Be sure to post pictures when you are finished Teeler.

linda faye 02-24-2013 09:04 AM

I find that decision making is a great part of quilting :) The only thing I would suggest is that the upper left seems to have a lot of dark squares in it........all other areas look great.

Overall, the stars look good but you know best about this.

Good luck.