Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wrist problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wrist-problem-t190868.html)

MamaO2011 06-05-2012 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl (Post 5267299)
Thanks ladies! I've had carpal tunnel surgery on that hand before, so that's not the issue this time, it's not in that portion of my hand/wrist. It's probably tendonitis from overuse, as suggested. I will take your suggestions and ice it, rest it and look for the fingerless gloves. If it doesn't get better in a week or so, guess I 'll have to se the doc.

I have the same kind of pain on the outside of the hand. I was told it is tendonitis, most likely from my ulnar nerves. I had some physical therapy, but the thing that worked the best is rest. As a photographer, I spend a lot of time holding my hand a certain way to hold the camera...and it is also the same way I hold onto the computer mouse when I'm editing. I had a brace I wore, did some exercises, and then did almost NOTHING during my down time to keep it rested. Resting helps the most.

Jingle 06-05-2012 10:30 AM

I stretch my hands and fingers every so often and no longer sleep with my fingers pointed towards my palm. I also move my shoulders around, as sleeping on it will sometimes cause my arms to go to sleep.

Dolphyngyrl 06-05-2012 03:33 PM

Carpal Tunnel, its from repetitive motion, stretches, and breaks can help. anything to break up the repetitive motion.

Suze9395 06-05-2012 03:43 PM

I have issues with tendinitis in my right arm, I have had it for years. I find that the chiropractor actually helps mine, he says it helps because the issue actually stems from issues with my neck. It is a miserable thing to have to limit something we love, hope you find something that works for you.

alisonquilts 06-05-2012 04:05 PM

I am not a doctor. (Important to state that up front!)

I had issues with shoulder, arm, wrist and hand pain for years and years and years. At various times I have had tennis elbow, repetitive motion disorders, generalized inflammation, tendonitis and bursitis diagnosed. I dutifully did the physical therapy or massive doses of ibuprofen or rest-with-ice that I was told to do. Always the pain came back. It turned out all to stem from bone spurs in my shoulder joints. It took years to get an accurate diagnosis (and a treatment that worked - surgery). GO TO A DOCTOR and BE PERSISTENT.

Alison

mucky 06-05-2012 04:24 PM

My friend's PT doctor suggest she try 200mg vit B6 daily. It worked for her!

Silver Needle 06-05-2012 05:25 PM

The gloves are available from Amazon.com I think I have also seen them in Keepsake Quilting but not in the most recent catalog.

qwkslver 06-06-2012 01:30 PM

Carpal tunnel. I wear gloves (they're kind of like support stockings for your wrists) and there is a gel you can buy called Arnica (homepathic) that helps me a lot. I'm a transcriptionist so between typing and sewing I suffer with this a lot.

bunbytes 06-07-2012 03:37 AM

I've been doing some heavy duty quilting (paper piecing) plus practicing my hand quilting and the carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up very bad in my right hand. You have my sympathy and empathy about what you are experiencing. I had surgery on my left hand almost 20 years ago. Surprisingly, the non-dominate hand is often worse because of the "supporting" actions of that hand when using your hands. I will get my right hand fixed when I return from a trip. The surgery was a snap the last time and my recovery time was very short and and this was the traditional method. Classic symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are the numbness in the thumb and first 3 fingers. I cannot determine the thickness of paper because my fingers are numb and feel like sandpaper. Often there are severe pains running up the top of the hand. Repetitive movements as in quilting aggravates the condition. There are wrist supports you can use, but usually surgery is the final cure. Good luck

Lavada 06-07-2012 03:47 AM

Good luck hope your wrist is better soon