Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yard Sale Find - What to use it for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yard-sale-find-what-use-t168735.html)

deemail 11-17-2011 05:21 PM

get some 'S' hooks and use like a peg board on the outside of the two sides...inside still available for fabric...

sewgull 11-17-2011 05:23 PM

I have a similar shelf in my sewing area. I placed a radio for MY listening, other shelves are projects waiting to be completed.

Sewfine 11-17-2011 05:24 PM

I have the same rack I also purchased at a yard sale. Mines is four shelves tall and three shelves wide. I have mines in the closet in my sewing room with fabric on it.

jmabby 11-17-2011 05:28 PM

Myself, I would lay it on its side and use it for fabric, paint a board the length of the rack width on its side and put my books on top along with some baskets with thread, rulers, and templates.

GrannieAnnie 11-17-2011 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK (Post 4691269)
Found this wire rack at a yard sale for $3.00. (Score!) Love it for my sewing room. Now ... how can I best put this to good use?

Magazine, book and pattern rack.
I'd not put fabric in it until I was sure it wasn't going to rust.

On second thought-----------how about some baskets to fill with the stuff you need to move around a lot, like sewing notions?

soccertxi 11-17-2011 05:53 PM

OH MY! I love these things! I have them under my cutting table in the sewing room and in the closet in the long arm room! ( I got a room everytime a kid moved out..but I'm done with rooms, not the last kid!) The ones in the sewing room have those plastic crates in them. I have strips in one, pulled projects in one, big pieces for backing. I even have a shelf on one for smaller containers. I have them in white and in colors from the kids area! Oh..and I have a couple cubes in the family room for my son's sports equipment!

Tartan 11-17-2011 05:54 PM

Deemail suggested S hooks. I would use those or metal shower hooks to hang my rulers on the outside. You could put your fabric on the boards cut to the bin size for storing your fabic. You could also run dowel through two squares on either side of a bin for storing ribbon reels? You could glue spools on the outside end of the dowels to keep them in place. You could also place it laying flat on the floor for magazine storage or along the shelf in a closet for fabric storage?

serenitybygrace 11-17-2011 06:06 PM

All great ideas. I even ordered replacement corner pieces for the wire squares I got with no connections. The company was easy to deal with and sent the replacement parts right away.

ging10ging 11-17-2011 06:08 PM

I think fabric because of the size of the cube maybe even kits if you buy them. Looks like a great find. Have fun filling it up. Sue

wildyard 11-17-2011 06:50 PM

Well since I use fleece for backing most of my quilts, I buy lots of rolled fleece remnants of 1-2 yards. This would make a perfect place to store rolls of fleece until they are needed for backing a quilt. :D