Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yard sale quilt tops gifted to Comfort quilt projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yard-sale-quilt-tops-gifted-comfort-quilt-projects-t296360.html)

petthefabric 04-20-2018 03:11 PM

Yard sale quilt tops gifted to Comfort quilt projects

The leader of the Comfort Quilts at the guild asked for help with getting backs ready for donated tops found at yard sale. She'd trashed a few of the tops due to fiber content (100% poly double knit, etc.). And she seemed appologetic about some other tops. I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This beholder is the person putting my work into these quilt tops. She was appologetic and I think I'm embarrassed to attach my name to them. I do have some standards. When I really looked at them I felt they needed to be reconstructed. Some of the ladies at a group sew day liked one of them. So I thought of construction and design compared to Gee's Bend quilts..... Nah, they were very ugly.

So here's my question. What do you think is reason to reconstruct a donated quilt top? OR would you trash it?
1. Fiber content
2. Type &/or quality fabrics (denim and chinze in same quilt)
3. Seam allowance
4. Design
5. Size
6. Puckered seams
7. Doesn't lay flat

ILoveToQuilt 04-20-2018 03:16 PM

I would accept them just the way they are. Only times to trash a quilt/quilt top is if it is filthy or stained with no hope to clean or if the fabrics are frayed/torn beyond repair.

To people who have nothing, Any quilt received will be appreciated. I am assuming that these quilts would be given to shelters, etc., not to hospice or hospitals. If hospice or hospitals, they may have stringent guidelines of what they can safely accept.

Just my 2 cents....for however much it is worth!

meyert 04-20-2018 03:36 PM

I have my own chapter of Quilts For Kids... and I have learned that just because I don't like the way a quilt looks doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. Matter of fact.. kids have pretty tacky taste ha ha ha ha

I really have never trashed a quilt that was donated. The ones that I feel are not the correct fabric or size or just ugly ...... or whatever reason I have... those I donated to the homeless drive at a church.

SillySusan 04-20-2018 04:45 PM

I wouldn't trash any of them. Sometimes people give me UFO tops and unfinished quilts for me to finish and donate. I fix them the best I can, but I don't put my name on them at all. I don't put my name on the ones I do from scratch. I don't understand, do you have to put your name on them?

Jingle 04-20-2018 05:31 PM

I don't put a name on most of my quilts. Certainly not the ones I donate. My purpose for donating is to give quilts to keep someone warm, not about me.

Grace creates 04-20-2018 05:42 PM

Only if it dirty and cannot be cleaned. Someone who does not have a blanket would be grateful.

SusieQOH 04-20-2018 05:46 PM

I agree with the others. Only if really dirty or terribly worn.

MaryMo 04-20-2018 05:56 PM

The worst of quilts can always be used for dogs and cats, especially durable polyester ones. Almost every quilt finds someone to love. I agree with Jingle that it's about the donation, not about me. If I make a quilt for a special person then it's a piece or art to be signed. This is just my thoughts, yours are just as important so you do what you think is best.

bearisgray 04-20-2018 06:25 PM

if it looks like it won' t hold together - seams very very skimpy and/ or frayed - would be my primary reason

bearisgray 04-20-2018 06:29 PM

the tops were probably in a yard sale "for a reason" - the original owner probably did not want to work on them any more, either.

i have finally come to the conclusion that it is not a cardinal sin to not accept any and all donations.