Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yardage purchases when buying for your stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yardage-purchases-when-buying-your-stash-t261333.html)

Skhf 02-17-2015 05:47 AM

Thanks for all the varied responses! I guess I will just wing it. I think I need to concentrate on some solids. My eye catches the novelty prints but then I don't have the basics to tie them in. If only I weren't snowed in I would add to my stash now. On line just doesn't give the same satisfaction

paoberle 02-17-2015 06:16 AM

Minimum of 2 yards. If I really like the material and it is close to the end of the bolt, I may buy the remaining amount on the bolt.

RugosaB 02-17-2015 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Skhf (Post 7092242)
I hate having too much just laying around

Admittedly, this is a very foreign concept to me!

3 yards in general. (I also have a hard time buying a fat quarter of anything)

Judi in Ohio 02-17-2015 06:25 AM

I am a scrappy girl so how I collected my stash will be a lot different than someone who isn't scrappy. I love sites like thousands of bolts, hancock paducah, fabric shack, places with great sales and I could buy 1 yd pieces and start my collection. Then fabric shack found out they had a whole stash of pieces that they sold for $2.95 a yard and I went nuts. I think I bought over a hundred yds, but I have a great stash now. Now I buy 2 yds because I love to make unique monogrammed pillowcases and I have leftovers from them. And I buy wides when on sale - actually I have bought neutrals in wides because it is a good deal. This works for me.

Snooze2978 02-17-2015 07:09 AM

If I just like the fabric, I buy at least 2yds. If its a staple fabric such as a light background I buy at least 5 yds if not 10 yds as I know it will get used up. I find the designers keep changing the fabric collections around and later down the road I can't get it again so I make sure I have enough for at least a year or two........or until I can find a replacement fabric. Just finished buying 2yds each of Connecting Threads "Lotta Dots" collection as they will be a great blender fabric. Their "Mirage" is another great blender fabric. I picked up 11 yds of their "cream" as I use it alot for a background fabric. I used over 5 yds of it on one quilt recently. If the fabric is on sale I'll try to buy up to 5 yds. depending on the funds I have available. So much for this year's "Fabric Moratorium". I blew it big time again.

Boston1954 02-17-2015 07:27 AM

When I started quilting in 1992, I almost always bought on quarter of a yard. Well, I had lots of variety but not much of any one thing. Four years ago, I made the decision that it would be two yards, or not at all.

Nona 02-17-2015 09:05 AM

I mostly make children's quilts which I donate to various charity organizations. If the material is on sale...I buy 3 to 5 yards. If it is not, I tend to buy 1.5 yards...I can always find something I already have to match it up. Of course if it is on sale and the end of the bolt (with discount) all that is on the bolt. I'll match it up sooner or later with something I have already in my stash.

SunlitenSmiles 02-17-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7092276)
My niece has always said my hobby isn't DOING crafts, it's BUYING craft supplies! I have the same stashes as you. If you like it get a yard if you love it, get 3 if you want to marry it, buy the bolt. That's how I get into trouble!

guess that makes me married to my yellow with the tiny butterflies and bubbles !

crafty pat 02-17-2015 09:31 AM

I buy three to five yard's depending on how much I like it.

BettyGee 02-17-2015 10:36 AM

If I can afford it I always buy three yards. If I fall in love with a fabric and I know what I'm going to do with it then... FQs are really a great thing to keep on hand, they have saved me many a time when I needed a rush project.