Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yeah right! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yeah-right-t231449.html)

seamstome 09-30-2013 02:46 PM

No I didn't say I would not teach him, I would teach anybody...he doesn't live here. I would be happy to teach him and he does have great color sense as he does photography. I just thought it was funny that he equated quilting with being able to sew a straight line.

Actually, I sarcastically said he would crap if he knew how much math was involved. His mom said he really loves math and he would probably really get into it.

mom-6 09-30-2013 02:53 PM

My guys started with backdrops and costuming. None have taken up quilting, but they aren't asking me to do their sewing either.

One is now branching out into leather top hats and goggles (steam punk style) etc. and is searching for an affordable leather sewing machine for stitching his leather fans. He's getting started in what looks to be the beginning of a profitable business.

So you never know where the young man you are talking about will go with his humble beginning.

Give him all the encouragement you can - then you can say you knew him when. . . Lol!

mckwilter 09-30-2013 02:54 PM

My DS grew up watching me sew clothing, crafts, etc., but I didn't start quilting until after he had gone away to college. However, I taught him how to use my machine for stitching and mending, and he did a decent job. When I got a new travel machine, I called and asked him if he wanted the old one (a Bernette), and he jumped on it. He calls me up once in a while to pick my brain on how to do something or other.

Your friend's son just needs to be educated on what goes into making a quilt. He doesn't know, so I suggest you either educate him or ignore him.

suern3 09-30-2013 03:02 PM

At least he was willing to try. Hard to listen to someone who thinks they are an expert though after one try.

MacThayer 09-30-2013 03:36 PM

He will either like it and work hard to become a better quilter, or he will hate it and stop. Either way he's exploring a creative area for personal satisfaction, and personally, I would do what I could to help him.

mountain deb 09-30-2013 03:38 PM

It is putting one foot in front of the other and soon you will be sewing up a quilt. He might be naive, but at least he is trying.

Jackie Spencer 09-30-2013 05:11 PM

I have been making quilts since the mid 70's, and Im still learning new things all the time.

Onebyone 09-30-2013 05:31 PM

After sewing one seam he '
decides now that he can "sew" that quilting stuff cant be that hard' doesn't sound like a person that wants to learn, he already knows all there is to know.

FroggyinTexas 09-30-2013 05:47 PM

Me, too. Everyone has to start somewhere and sewing two sheets together with a machine you don't know a thing in the world about is as good a place as any! froggyintexas

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6322771)
Good for him. I hope he picks up quilting as a serious hobby and enjoys it.

slicksister 09-30-2013 06:15 PM

So much negativity. Why all the hate. Why not help instead of doubt? I say good for him!!